Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Byron Sukhoi.....How Good ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Sukhoi.....How Good ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Sukhoi.....How Good ?

Does anyone has any experience with the Byron or Ironbay 27% Sukhoi kit ? How does it fly ? What did you use for power ? How is quality of kit ? Any modifications needed ?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2002, 05:14 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
I had one of the 1st Byron Sukhoi's, obviously many years ago!
It was a nice kit, powered mine with a G-62, came out at 26 pounds. This was with the wings, etc F/G and a real nice finish. Byron claimed 18 pounds if you Monokote the surfaces. Impossible, we weighed the kit and it there was 17 pounds worth of parts! It flew really good, but don't expect unlimited performance. Remember, Byron made a SCALE model of an aerobatic airplane, it was never designed as an unlimited aerobatic model. There was a problem with aileron flutter with the early kits. I know Byron tried different fixes, the last I remember was counterbalance spades, two on each aileron. I never had a problem as I top hinged the aileron. The flutter issue hadn't come up, I just hinge my ailerons that way. I think I never ran into a problem because I had a longer moment arm for the aileron horn which made a stiffer setup. Again, it was just dumb luck I hinged them that way. Also, the landing gear, while thick, was pretty soft, and every so often you would have to bend them back. I was going to put a composite gear on to save a little weight, but I lost it before I could put the new gear on.
Other than that, it was a fun plane to fly, if a little heavy. I miss it because my friend painted pearl white with a green tint and medium metallic green trim. Sure was unique and boy did it shine!
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Texas 3D

Default other comments

Thanks for the input F106A !
Does anybody else has some comments ?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:19 PM
NSSHERLOCK

Re: Byron Su 26 I have one NNib. $500 plus shipping from Dallas. I will throw in several carcases and extra wings (some damage) for the same price. Let me hear your offer??Email me at [email protected]
Old 05-14-2002, 12:16 AM
bash-ace-RCU

Default Carcasses

NSSherlock,

what kind of carcass pieces do you have of the Sukhoi?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:59 AM
NSSHERLOCK

Carcass, Sukhoi, Byron, IMAA legal size: 2 fuses and 2 sets of wings. One set of wings is better than the other. the worst set has bent strut (mounting aluminum strut) The worst fuse is complete from back of cockpit back, the other is almost complete from the firewall, but has some damage to the fiberglass up front. Both tails are OK. As I said before, I have a complete kit with glass new glass fuse and foam wings that haven't been sheeted yet. Includes cowl, and all kit parts made by Byron. Includes construction booklet. Price is $500 for all, you pay delivery or we can meet if you are near my area, ie Dallas, TX
Old 05-16-2002, 04:04 AM
NSSHERLOCK

Bash Ace: List your e-mail address and I will send you Carcass pictures NSSherlock
Old 05-16-2002, 10:58 AM
bash-ace-RCU

Default Email

NSSherlock,

sent you an email...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:17 AM
princeamerica

Default RE: Email

Here is a pic of my Sukhoi, I will let you know how well it flies sometime this spring, don't feel like putting skis on it. It came out at 24 pounds with a G62 and purrpower system
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40821.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	99751