Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to thin dope?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to thin dope?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:38 AM
jester125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to thin dope?

Im trying to paint the firewall and cheeks of my lt-40 using an air brush but its to thick and it wont flow correctly. Is there any way to thin out dope so I can use an airbrush to apply it?

thanks chris
Old 02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
LouW

Default RE: How to thin dope?

Dope must be thinned to a viscosity almost like water to spray in an air brush. Use dope thinner, preferably (but not necessarily) of the same brand. It then takes several thin coats to cover. I have had excellent luck with a small gravity feed spray gun. I got mine at Lowes for about $50, but I recently saw one at Harbor Freight for $15. It has a cup of about 4 ounces, and the spray pattern will go from a fan, down to around 1/2 inch diameter, and the material adjustment is very fine.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:19 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You can use acetone to thin dope if you can't find dope thinner. Acetone is fairly eay to get at paint stores... but its a nasty chemical composition. Highly flamable and toxic.

Dope thinner isnt much better... still highly flamable and toxic. (kind of like comparing cyanide and stricnine... both will kill you, they just do it a little differently...)

Be sure to use adequate ventilation and if doing more than small spot painting with an airbrush, get a respirator.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
jester125

thanks, I'll look for the stuff
chris
Old 02-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Jimmbbo

Suggest you use caution mixing different brands of dope and thinner -

As I recall, Pactra and Testor thinners and dope are incompatible, and there may be others.. Found that out the hard way a long time ago...

Have used only acetone or same-brand thinner since with considerable success.

HTH

Jim
Old 02-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Dzlstunter

Jimmbbo is right. Flyers in C/L stunt circles have a long experience with dope finishes, and almost the first recommendation is not to mix/match dopes and thinners between manufacturers. The supplier of your dope should have the correct thinner, too. Good luck, Dzl
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 PM
kdheath

Been there, done that. Using off-brand thinners can really change the behavior of the dope. Brodak dope, for instance, works wonderfully with Brodak thinner. Thin it with acetone or lacquer thinner and it loses its gloss, the dry time lengthens and it may curdle over some base coats or curdle the base coat. It is far safer to use the same brand from top to bottom. Sometimes you can get away with a mix, but eventually, it will bite you. Save the acetone for cleanup.

BTW, the Stuka Stunt Works Forum has a ton of info on using dope. And Windy Urtnowki has the definitive videos on the subject.
ORIGINAL: Dzlstunter

Jimmbbo is right. Flyers in C/L stunt circles have a long experience with dope finishes, and almost the first recommendation is not to mix/match dopes and thinners between manufacturers. The supplier of your dope should have the correct thinner, too. Good luck, Dzl
Old 02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

I think the main question was how to thin to get it to spray well.

50/50 dope to thinner has always been a good mix for just about anything you use it for.
Spraying, doping the bare wood, setting fabric. For buidling up a finish brush on 50/50 thinned dope with talc powder mixed in.

Smooth Flying...

Wayne
Old 02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
LouW

Acetone dries too fast for use in dope. It will cause it to blush in all but the driest weather, and because of its extremely fast dry, it tends to make brush marks more prominent. If at all possible, use the same brand of thinner as dope. At least try whatever you use on some scrap piece before using it on the real thing.