Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Hanger9 Super Cub 100"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 12:24 AM
HCJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger9 Super Cub 100"

Assembled the super cub,have a G38for it.Looks like it will not fit in the cowling.Any other gas engines that might be smaller but swing a 20" prop. Help!
Howard
Old 03-09-2003, 12:39 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

a 3w-24 has the same power as the G-38 and will swing a 20 x 8 in the 65-6800 range and will swing a 18 x 8 at 8000 rpm. This engine weighs about 50% of the G-38.

Elson
Old 03-10-2003, 01:31 AM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

HCJ
TAKE A LOOK AT RCS1.40 LESS WGT THAN A 3W-24 MORE HP
I HAVE ONE IN H9 TAYLORCRAFT , VERY SIMILAR PLANE ,ALSO SEE LINK ABOUT ENG FOR H9 T-CRAFT FOR MANY COMPARISONS. SEE MAY2002 MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS FOR INFO ON ALL ENGINES
ANOTHER GOOD CHOICE IS ZDZ-40. GOOD LUCK PJAMESRC JIM
Old 03-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry PJ, but the RCS 1.40 is not more powerful than the 3W-24, don't know where you got your figures but no way can your RCS 1.4 pull a Bolly 18x10 prop at 7200 rpm, the 3W-24 can.

Here is a review I found on the 1.40 and it is best equal to a 1.20 4 stroke glow engine:

http://www.rcfaq.com/reviews/rcs140review.htm
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Hanger9 Super Cub 100"

Originally posted by HCJ
Assembled the super cub,have a G38for it.Looks like it will not fit in the cowling.Any other gas engines that might be smaller but swing a 20" prop. Help!
Howard
For what its worth, I saw one fly with a Zenoah G-23 and it was as perfect a match as you could get.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:30 AM
Thomas Williams
My Feedback: (4)

I have a friend of mine who bought a 3w-24 because he was told it had the power of a 38 and the plane he put it in would not do a loop without putting it in a dive first.It was swinging a 18-10 but not as fast as he was told it would.To get to the end of the story he sold it and replaced it with a 41 cc engine.The plane was a Giant Scales Planes Decathalon.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:36 AM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

HOMBREWER
THE RCS-1.40 WILL NOT TURN A 18-10 @7200
BUT IT WILL TURN A 16-8@ 8700. THE RCS-1.40
IS SURELY MORE POWERFUL THAN A 1.20 ENGINE
FOR IN DEPTH COMPARISON SEE M.A.N MAY 2002
FOR A SUPER CUB THE 3W-24 IS, IN MY OPINION OVERKILL
THANK YOU PJAMESRC JIM
Old 03-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Yep, I can agree that a Cub doesn't need all that much power.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:46 PM
pilotfrank
My Feedback: (73)

IT FITS!!!

I am thinking about this plane also but want to use it as a tow plane, so I need a bigger engine than a G23, possibly bigger than a G38.

Check out this thread where there are nice pictures posted of a G38 under the cowl:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...877&forumid=38]
Old 04-03-2003, 11:32 PM
rmteo1
My Feedback: (2)

See this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...877&forumid=38

There are pictures of a G38 mounted on the H9 Super Cub..
Old 04-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Flymyplane
My Feedback: (24)

Default ideas!

While at the Toledo show I looked at the Fuji 32/34 cc engine at the Great planes booth. It does not feel any much heavier than the G-26! Plus it did not have a cracked carb block!(most of the new EZ carb blocks are cracked upon delivery even the one at the Horizon booth was cracked!) From what I have heard the Fuji 32 is a realiable smooth engine. I do not own one of these, and I have never seen one run. It is only what I have heard! But it weighs at about 3.7 pds, which is about 1 pound less than the G-38! For the Super Cub that is more than enough power! Im also considering a Saito 100 as I already have one. The Horizon people say the Saito 100 would pull it fine for scale.

I also looked at the First Place 1.3 baby engine. Its nice looking, but $379 ! It does have electronic ignition and battery all included. Probably a good deal!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:16 AM
trey3825

Brison 2.4 it will blow all those motors away. That the motor i am goig to use
Old 04-17-2003, 02:17 AM
trey3825

thats the motor I am going to use
Old 04-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Hanger 9 Cub

I have been flying mine on floats for two years with a G23. I fly at about 2000' and have more than enough power. To fly at a scale appearing speed I have to back of to just under half throttle
Old 05-20-2003, 01:42 AM
allancito

Hanger 9 Cub.

I have two of these. The old model J3 and the new Super Cub. I have a 3W 24 for the S Cub and it fits in the cowl with room to spare. Just needs a cut out for the plug and lead. OK so I like Cubs, O owned the real thing but sold it many years ago like a fool. RC is the next best I suppose. The old J3 is a totally different beast to the new one and I think they have done themselves a huge dis-service with the quality on the new model. The toilet roll paper wing tube is a disgrace and I dread the day it ever sees a drop of oil or fuel or water as it will turn to mush for sure. The strength of the cabin frame, which incidentally is what holds the wings on is nothing short of weak. I know cubs are not aerobatic in the true sense but stall turns and wing overs are the state of the art maneuvers with these old timers. I see someone wanting to but a Brison 2.4 up front. Well mate, get ready to pick it up out of the dirt as it just will not handle that amount of power. You will leave the wings behind unless you are a very throttle minded. Then if you are that good why over power the thing in the first place. These old ladies only look good puttering around at scale speeds and a few meters off the deck. Anything other than trying to make them fly scale is just going to turn them into fire lighters.

Sorry to sound negative but the old J3 with a twin OS 160 is over powered but respectable. The 3W 24 will also be an overkill but I have yet to find a suitable small gas engine that is light enough and small enough to get into the cowl. The 3W falls in so it is my choice engine.

I would like to hear from anyone who had some time up on the new super cub to see what your experiences are. Has anyone had fuselage or engine mount problems with them as they just just do not look man enough to do the job.

Allan, Antofagasta Chile.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:52 AM
Flymyplane
My Feedback: (24)

Default Super Cub

From what I can tell, my Super Cub looks pretty stout but light. The firewall is pretty thick, must be half inch. Im mounting a Fuji 32 which should be in line with the G-26. I would agree, You dont need to overpower too much, but you want enough to keep out of trouble. I was going to put a saito 100 on it, but wanted to go gas. Did not have enough money for a 3W but scrounded enough for the Fuji on sale at tower. Dont see how much oil will spill onto the wing tube being as far away from the exhast that it is. I guess you could paint it with fuel proof paint or clear coat. Im not that worried about it anyway. My tube was not quite lined properly, so Im readjusting and and adding a small doubler for the area anyway. I think its going to be a pretty good plane. I have the Fuji mounted to the airframe, but not run yet. Still need to finish the Cub. Should be a good puttin around plane!
Old 05-20-2003, 03:07 AM
allancito

flymyplane.

Maybe I was a little picky but the craftmanship difference between the old model J3 and the new one is chalk and cheese. Good point on sealing the paper tube and the doubler. I want to fit a scale cockpit and also cut the door like the real one so will be doing some stiffining around the cabin area anyway to make the cabin look lined like the real McCoy. My old J3 weighs a ton and with power off she is a flying piano. I note that she tends to tip stall in a fully developed stall. Thats is with a little power on and nose pulled up to try and maintain level flight. The real one did not do that but it is tolerable and stalled landings are not the order of the day unless the wheels are within inches of terra firma. I have the ROBART 690 landing gear fitted and it just makes the difference when you plunk her on the ground. Watching those bungees work is a pure delight.

Does anyone have a photo of the 3W 24 fitted as I have not yet bolted mine in and have already realised there is more than one way to get this German into bed. The top engine mount hole does not allow you use a standoff as it will foul the mixture screws. So the answer is either to to make a wooden box and stand it off the firewall or make an alloy adaptor plate and stand it off the plate with machined alloy standoffs. I think the alloy plate will be lighter and may save placing the grocery order in the tail to keep her balanced later on.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Jemo

I put my RCS 140 on my H9 Super Cub. The power is more than enough.
With the 18X8 prop it jumped off the ground, and just was too fast. I have a 17X6 prop (cut down) not a very efficient prop but it is much nicer flying it now.
The super Cub does not have the stall tendencies that other Cubs I have owned had.
For instance, the first time I flew it and it popped right off the ground I was sure it was going to cartwheel, but it didn't even dip a wing. Landing with full flaps can be sooooooo slow also,

All in all a nice flying plane. It needed a lot more aileron throw than called for but the elevator was good.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:58 PM
allancito

jemo.

do you by chance have a photo of the rcs 140 mounted. This too is a rear mount carb and I am interested to see if you have boxed it in or have used the standoffs supplied by RCS. It looks a nice little engine but i have shyed away from it to date as it looks like it will run hot as it has very little in the way of cooling fins. Of course I have been wrong a million times before so would like to hear how it starts, runs and behaves in general.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Jemo

It's not baffled in any way, but I did cut a fair amount of cowl away on the bottom to allow for plenty of exit air.
The engine is mounted on a fiberfilled mount(great planes,??)
with stand-offs to get the proper distance from the firewall.

I have run this engine on a Stearman with a round cowl and on a H9 edge, never had a heating problem.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Hanger9 Super Cub 100"

Do we have any updates on any, or all, of these engine choices?

I need an engine for my Super Cub and am looking for one with enough power for the eventual floats I plan to put on... Right now the Brison 2.4 is my top choice as it's price and weight are very good when compared to a G-26 with ignition. Also -- I have a Brison 3.2 in my 29% Edge 540 and it's been rock solid reliable so getting another Brison is very appealling...

I would really like to learn more about the gasser choices for this plane.

TIA for your help.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:51 PM
mojorisin
My Feedback: (1)

I plan on using a 31cc ryobi on my cub. Has anyone tried that yet? I have it ready to mount now. It seems like it't going to work perfect, since it has rear intake and exhaust. I'll try to post some picks of it mounted. I have a senior telemaster with a quadra 42 that is a blast to fly. I purchased the motor on ebay as a 35 but it turned out to be a 42. It does not lack power.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 PM
johnnyc

Homebrewer,
don't know about the power comparison because I haven't taken the time to research your question, but I have the H9 Super Cub and I put the Zenoah G26 in it. AWESOME is all I can say man! Good luck. PS. Spins up to 8900 rpm on an APC 16 X 8 prop. Very scale performance......
Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
johnnyc

Default RE: Super Cub

They must have changed the model. My wing tube is aluminum. You may want to contact H9 and see if they will swap it out for you. Obviously there was a problem here for them to change it....

Page 14 I think.... http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/shar...650-manual.pdf