Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Small Field Box

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Small Field Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 PM
macgyver22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Field Box

I just finished my field box. I looked at several ideas and threads. Most of the boxes I saw were either wood or very large. I deciede to go the opposite direction, small and light. I also wanted it to look unassuming, not like a flight box, but rather a normal toolbox.

Here are some pics of the box-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64224.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	104339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25439.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	104340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99794.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	104341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48335.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	104342  
Old 02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
macgyver22

Default RE: Small Field Box

Two more....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30659.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	104343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77734.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	104344  
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 PM
macgyver22

In the upper left hand corner of the box are the electric connections for the starter. The switch is for the fuel pump direction and the red button is a momentary switch to run the pump. I didn't put in a glow plug driver because I really like the C-Cell glow plug driver - much more portable and one less thing to recharge. The fuel tubing is about 4 feet long and fits inside the upper left hand corner of the box. You can just open the lid on the top and the fuel line is ready to go.

Now to just finish fixing my plane and I can keep using the box!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 PM
LearjetMech

Box looks good but hate to say it I think it might be a bit on the unsafe side. You got a battery and fuel in the same compartment and relatively close to one another, with no protection on the battery terminals. That fuel burns invisible and damned hot! Best of luck and please be careful!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
macgyver22

I thought of that and the terminals are covered and the fuel is vented external to the case. Being a chemist, I looked at the setup pretty carefully - don't need to blow myself up at home! There isn't enought voltage in the battery to arc accross the teminals even if there is fuel vapor in the case. The vapor pressure of the fuel is fairly low and the flash point fairly high (considering many other fuels). I used to use ethanol and an open spark source quite a bit in the same closed space (ethanol has a much higher vapor pressure and a significantly lower flashpoint. Never really had a problem. The ethanol flame is near invisible as well and not all that hot (relativly).