Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

No Lift on GWS DF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

No Lift on GWS DF

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:51 AM
leith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Lift on GWS DF

I am trying to fly a stockGWS Dragonfly as it came out of the box. It has an ESC/Mixer combo boaed and separate Gyro.

My problem is that as I throttle up, just at the point where the Heli starts to lift, the green LED on the ESC turns RED and further increase in throttle doesnt increase motor speed or lift, so it just scoots across the floor. I have tried 7 cell NiMh, and 2 and 3 cell LIPO all with the same results. My best attempt was with the 2 cell LIPO where it actually got airborn by about 6 inches but I could not repeat that a second time even with fully charged batteries. Do I have a defective ESC that is limiting too soon, bad rotor blades,'

Help.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Super-Hornet

Default RE: No Lift on GWS DF

Hi

I notice that the ESC (or mixer) when LED turn red, it is the max speed it can provide to the motor. If you confirm that your Heli and Transmitter batteries are fully charge or ok, then check your Main Rotor and Tail Rotor motor connection is correct. U can verify this by doing a tail rotor movement (Move stick to left or right). If your Main Rotor speed changes as u do so, then your connections are wrong. Swap it and try again.

If you confirm Motor connection correct, then check your Main Rotor Blades. Make sure it has a good pitch. If not, try to bend it.

Hope this will help

Hornet
Old 01-18-2004, 03:00 PM
flyingchaos

During this testing phase, I'd advise you disengage your main motor from the main gear.

When I got my DF, it came prewired. unfortuanately, the rudder and throttle connectors was mixed up at the Rx, YET i was able to control the throttle and tail like it was correct. So I believe that the feda ESC/mixer is smart enough to know that the rudder and throttle channels are hooked up incorrectly and electronically switches them..

but like super-hornet says, the tail esc circuit may provide less current(amps) to the main motor.

One thing i did notice, prior to discovering the incorrect wiring, was that the gyro controlled both the tail and the main motors when you manually shake the heli about the shaft axis.

The gyro is ONLY supposed to control the tail motor while the main motor is at a constant speed.
So, this may be a way for you to test if you've got the correct wiring.

a picture is worth a thousand words....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17751.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	91811  
Old 01-18-2004, 04:16 PM
leith

DVANG:

I want to thank you for your suggestions. My DF came with the ESC and GYRO not installed so I had to mount them and connect wiring myself. I have double checked wiring and operation and all seems OK. The throttle controls both main and tail rotors while rudder only controls tail. Also wagging the tail only affects the tail rotor speed. I have tried another motor and advanced the timing by rotating the end bell about 30 deg. against the direction of rotation and I still dont have enough power to get into a decent hover.

I do have the thin carbon fibre rod and pingpong ball training skids. surely this isnt enough to keep it down?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:27 PM
flyingchaos

leith,

I have not tried the training skids and am not sure if it could lift it or not...

Can anyone who's tried a DF with training skids comment on whether the DF will be able to lift with it on?

what kind of equipment do you have? Perhaps your setup may be too heavy? dunno.

my bundle came with:
gws pg-03 gyro
6ch naro Rx
2 gws naro servos
mixer/esc board
gws em150 stock motor

Don't think I said it here, but it is important to balance your main rotors and track them. I also balanced the tail rotor while I was at it.

just FYI. Lift is not a problem with my DF. I'm not quite sure what is going on with your heli setup....

I was thinking it could be local altitude meaning you may need higher angle on your main blades, but I doubt that Ontario Canada is any higher in elevation than minneapolis MN USA.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi all

I bought and use my training skid for just one day....hehee!

Anyway... yup! the Dragonfly is strong enought to lift the training skid. (Note: I'm using 750mAH NiMH, which it much heavier weight than the stock 730mAH)

Super-Hornet
Old 01-19-2004, 11:47 PM
JasonRP

Yup.. I have the Hummingbird (I think this is the same chopper?).. With stock battery (600mah), it will lift the chopper as high as I dare go, with my homemade training skid, which has GOT to be heavier than the carbon fibre one..

Jason
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 AM
helicraz

Hi,

I am having the same probs as Leith mentioned in this forum...
Leith, did you get it solve? I am very interested to know how if you did.

So fat I tried changing the motor... no help.
bending the main blades... no help too.

Anyone has any idea what else I can try?