Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help diagnose this problem please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
SJMILLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnose this problem please.

Hello all,
Need help figuring out what is broke. Savage RTR purchased in December. About 4 gallons of fuel through it. The truck started to only pull with the front wheels. Pick it up and hit the throttle, all wheels turn. Put in on the ground and hit the gas front wheels spins like crazy and the back wheels do nothing. There is no odd noise coming the truck. I took of the back skid plate and the rear end gears don't appear worn. If you hold the back tires and turn the front tires the rear end will eventually pop and slip a tooth, but this is very loud, very tight, and there wasn;t anything like that noise while running the truck. Is the rear end ok and the problem in the transmission? I am a newbie to trucks so any pointer would be appreciated, such as what to look for in the tranny, links to how to diagnose these problems or how to tear down the tranny properly. The truck is stock as far as the drive train in concerned. Just a MP steering mod, hitech 645 MG steering servo, HD dogbones on the wheels, not yet on the drive shafts. I don't even know where to start finding this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
IslandSavage

Default RE: Help diagnose this problem please.

Do a Diff spider gear mod. www.savage-central.com has a walkthrough for it. It will solve all your diff problems.....
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
light_one66

Hey SJ......I had a similar incident with my front wheels doing the same thing......My problem turned up to be on the drive cup at the transmission....The set screw thats holds it all in place fell out!!!!!.....Thank God for Loc-tite!....Dont know if thats your problem...but check it out....Hope this helps.....
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 PM
VonJava

ditto

ORIGINAL: light_one66

Hey SJ......I had a similar incident with my front wheels doing the same thing......My problem turned up to be on the drive cup at the transmission....The set screw thats holds it all in place fell out!!!!!.....Thank God for Loc-tite!....Dont know if thats your problem...but check it out....Hope this helps.....
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
8000ft

also check to see if the wheels are stripped at the hex nut.
check the bearrings on the diff housing, if the are shot they will cause the rear end to act funny like you discribed(personal experience on this one too).
Old 03-02-2004, 03:34 PM
SJMILLER

Ok first, thanks everyone for the replies! I am checking all of the suggestions, unfortunately it wasn't the set screw, would have been to easy

Second, I am looking into the diff mod, but its seems to be most parts are out of stock, I am still looking around but if you can point to somewhere I am not looking that would be great. Bevel Gear Set out of stock at both Tower and Savage-Central. Bevel Gear 43 tooth and 13 tooth gear both sold out at tower and SC.

Third, How do I isolate the problem to diffs? Is it common for the diffs to not be working without making some kind of racket? I had planned on doing this mod regardless, but I don't want to do the mod put it all back together and find the problem still exists and spend another week waiting on parts for the tranny . Is there a way I can eliminate the tranny as part of the problem?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 PM
light_one66

Hey Stan.....I'm kinda new at this to....but...try isolating components.....With the tranny out....spin one of the cup joints....does the other one move?...any strange noises like that popping sound you described?...If not...do the same with the diffs.....This might able you to narrow it down......probably sound kinda stupid to do....but I've always been on the KISS (keep it simple stupid)method when working on stuff like this....Also....Break out the Savage instruction manual....good guide for all the part installs.Hope you get it fixed soon!!!!! Good luck!
Old 03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
FooFighter

im on my second pin thru the transmission cup (brake hub) i put a whole lotta threadlock on there now, 3 bashes later and its still there!

is this a common fault?

Andy..
Old 03-02-2004, 04:47 PM
vizaracer

it could be your pinion gear. take off the skid plate again and look at the front half of it. there is alittle gear in there that spins the big gear. spin the drive shaft or something to see if it has striped or not. if not it should be the gears in the differential. with the 4 tanks through it, it is very possible. you want to do the spyder gear mod to your truck also. its a must. heres a link on how to do it.
http://www.savageunleashed.com/artic...17449#comments
Old 03-03-2004, 09:32 AM
8000ft

it could be the trannie. there is one shaft in the trans. that drives both the front and back equally. hold the truck up side down and turn both front wheels at the same time. does the rear drive cup turn also??? (the one thats connected to the back of the trans.) if it doesn't then the out put shaft in the trannie has snapped. however this is very unlikely, it is the only thing in the trans. that would cause this problem.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
SJMILLER

Thanks for the tranny advise. When I spin the fron wheels simultaneously the rear shaft definitely works so this helps me eliminate the tranny thanks! Now if I can just find someone with the spider gears in stock maybe I can get this thing fixed! Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 AM
8000ft

i have had my share of blown rear diffs,rear drive shafts, rear axels, rear stripped wheel hexes, all due to my wasp. and when i coulden't get parts right away i just pulled what ever i needed from the front end so that at least i would have rear wheel drive to bash with. then i made sure to order extra parts to rebuild every thing at least once over. (extra diff case , gears , shafts , ect.)