Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Spur Gear Insanity!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:40 PM
SJMILLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur Gear Insanity!!

Hello all,
I can't seem to get the dang spur gear set right. I have read as many posts about this as I can find. I have tried the plastic bag, and paper between the gears, no luck. This is my 4th spur gear to ruin. This last time I thought I had it as it lasted about 6 tanks of fuel with no sign of wear, then bang strip completely. The engine is not lose, I checked it closely, it is still in the place I put it. I have been running it a little looser every time I strip one, but to go any further than this last one will make it have quite a bit of play? I have another savage that I am using for comparison as it still has the original spur gear with no sign of wear and I thought I had them identical, but any looser and I will have a lot mor slop than the original. Any suggestions? I am very tempted to go to a metal gear, but Will this solve anything?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 PM
mike1288
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spur Gear Insanity!!

Buy the Robinson Racing Gear, I was eating through them with mine untill I switched.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

Going to a metal gear will not solve your problems. If your gear mesh is not right it will still cause damage. Here is the way I do it. I put all 4 screws in until they touch the bottom of the engine plate. I push the motor into the spur gear and spin the spur gear. You will notice that it will bind. Now move the motor away from the spur gear just a little. Keep pressure down on the motor and spin the spur gear. If it still binds , move it a little more. Use very small movements. If the spur gear does not bind then tighten the screws. Now make sure that the spur gear is not binding. If it is try again. If not, remove one screw at a time and put locktite on each screw one at a time. This is the method that I use and I have had no problems.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
vizaracer

are the screws that hold on your purple engine mounting plate gone? there are 4 screws on the side that hold down the purple plate
Old 03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Nitrofannn

Hmmm has to make me wonder where you are running your slipper clutch at or if you don't have an over all issue in your trannie. IMHO something else needs to have a look taken at. How many turns out are you running your slipper nut?? I usually set mine to a quarter turn out.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:18 AM
SJMILLER

I was advised by the LHS to tighten the slipper clutch down and just barely back it off, it sure isn't out a quater, think this could be contributing?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
8000ft

check your bearrings, clutch bell especially. if they are worn you can't get an accurate mesh.
the slipper adjustment doesn't have anything to do with stripping gears, loose or tight it won't affect it.