Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Will NOT Pay All Coverage

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Will NOT Pay All Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:44 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Will NOT Pay All Coverage

In a thread I wrote a few days ago, my friend who lost his index
and second fingers at the base, applied to AMA for their coverage
on dismemberment. Their final judgement is that since he didn't
loose his thumb or ring finger, they will NOT pay the coverage. I
believe that would have been any amount up to $10,000.00 The
claims agent did say they would cover the 15% that his medical
plan didn't cover. This is going to be a tidy sum in itself. So at
least the AMA is there to help us out.

I think I'm thumbing my nose at fate, since I traded for the killer
plane tonite. It took me a half hour to clean the blood off the wing and fuse. A gruesome sight with the front of the large
canopy totally covered and all over the tailsection. This really
brings home what a 20" prop can do.

Be extra carefull with those planes and pay attention !!

Randy
Old 06-12-2002, 05:00 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Fingers

Hey Randy, Did he happen to say how he did this ? Later, Dave
Old 06-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Rarebear

Randy, Any news about how your friend is gettin along? I do hope he's feeling at least a little better.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:21 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default Bob

Hi all, I saw Bob yesterday. He is going back to the DR. in the next few days to see if he will get to keep his middle finger. It may have to be removed (again). His hand looks pretty rough right now but he's in fairly good spirits and he is one tough trooper.

Basically, Bob was flying alone at Wy. Co. Park and accidentally started a big Tiger engine at full throttle. From what I understand, he tried to stop it by hand, by grabbing the spinner in a defensive move. The prop got ahold of his glove and sucked his hand into the prop, which was a large, black, plastic one, not to mention the brand. Many of us have seen guys cup the spinner on smaller engines to stop them, but Bob did this to keep the prop from getting into his body. He wound a rope around his bicep to stop the hemorrhaging and drove himself to the hospital. We should all hope and pray that he gets to keep everything he has now (including body parts and home)! He needs all the support you guys can give him.

Thanks,

John Wells
Old 06-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is an example of an excellent reason for never flying alone. He could have gone into shock while driving to the hospital, wrecked his vehicle and maybe even lost his life not to mention any damage or injury to others. As bad as his injuries are now, they could have been worse given the scenario above.

I hope we all learn from his mistake and wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the accident. It could have been prevented. In our club, it is MANDATORY that all planes be secured in some manner prior to starting the engine. Some guys drive two posts into the ground and the airplane butts against them. Others drive a stake into the ground, and secure the airplane around the tail section to that stake. We also have a "can't fly alone rule", but that one is hard to enforce.

In lieu of the two above methods, a second person holding the plane while starting is acceptable - but NO ONE starts an engine with the airplane unsecured - and that rule is strictly enforced.

Even at that - there are times when someone will stick his hand into the prop for one reason or another. You can't win them all.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:39 PM
KidVermin

Jim:

The plane was restrained with a 3/8" dia steel foam covered
stirrup that was pressed into the ground in front of the stab. With
all the rain Kansas had this Spring, the post was bent and pulled
out of the ground.

Randy
Old 06-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy:

Thanks for that bit of information. It was indeed an unfortunate accident.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Why in the world won't they cover his finger! Why only his thumb??? Thats total bs
Old 06-15-2002, 11:50 PM
airjeffro

For $48 a year we get a nice magazine, 1 vote, and enough insurance to keep our dumb *****es out of bankruptcy court. Not a bad deal if you ask me. How can you blame the AMA for only covering what his primary insurance won't. He or his employer pays thousands of dollars a year for primary health insurance, why don't they pay for his lost finger?
Old 06-17-2002, 03:33 AM
KidVermin

airjeffro:

Since AMA has a dismemberment clause in the insurance policy for
us; it's like your primary health policy that you were running with scissors in the house and put out your right eye and you turned in a claim and they said it only covered the left eye.All he was asking for was what was written in their coverage.

Randy
Old 06-17-2002, 09:17 PM
airjeffro

Randy, I apologize for being so blunt. I do feel for your friend, and feel he SHOULD recieve compensation. The reason for my blunt responce was that I felt the AMA was recieving undo blame. It's always after the fact that we read the fine print, or are informed of the fine print. I don't ever remember actually reading the insurance policy that we have through the AMA, but you can bet your last dollar that it is available to us to read.

I know a guy who lost the middle, ring, and pinky fingers on one hand in an accident where I work. He recieved very little in the way of dismemberment, but he did get something. We handle large coils of steel, and to watch this guy try to handle them with only his thumb and index finger just makes me sick. They told him that the thumb is the big money digit with the index finger being next. I do find it hard to swallow, that your friend will not recieve any comp for looseing his index finger.

The AMA doesn't write the policy, they just buy the best they can afford with the money that we give them. If we want coverage with certain clauses, we will have to pay more or give up coverage for other types of injuries.

Please don't think that I think that it is ok that your friend is getting the shaft, but to blame the AMA is what I don't agree with.