Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

fine tunign an engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
raceme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fine tunign an engine...

ok i got my engine to idle juss a bit longer so what do i do now...still cuts off after a while..which needle would i want to adjust. the top speed needle or low speed.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:56 PM
nitrofreak74

Default RE: fine tunign an engine...

be a little for specific, about what the engine does, and how much throttle your giveing it. If you need to, your welcome to PM me, i can answer you fast and easiar.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 PM
kilobit

If you want to adjust the ilding adjust the idle set screw. If your engine is cutting off after a few minutes, and it idling at a good rpm, then you might need to lean it a bit. The high speed needle is on top (usually the big one) and it doesnt work until the throttle is pulled at least a quarter trigger all the way to wide open throttle. The low speed is just for idlie speed to a quarter of trigger pull. A good way to test it is to pinch the fuel line and it should run for about 2 to 3 seconds if it dies to quick richen the low speed needle and longer lean the low speed needle (Lean is clockwise).
Old 03-10-2004, 12:28 AM
raceme

lol i know all the components of an rc engine...but yea i get the engine started....see if it idles first so it wont cut out on me far away and have to walk half a mile to get it..so yea i get the car back then i let it idle again then it cuts off.. would i need to adjust the high speed or low speed needle to get the spots juss right...i got pretty good results with fixin the hsn. do i lean out the high speed needle then richen the low speed or what. i can pretty much hear how the engine runs(running rich or lean by sound). i open up the throttle a lil bit when starting so it could be on the rich side but is that normal to start the car like that..and also my idle opening is aproximatly 1 mm or lower my wheels juss starts to spin at 1mm but any lower than that the engine struggles.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM
dagass

Use the "pinch test" to check your settings on the LSN. Fire up the engine and let it warm up a bit, then pinch the fuel tubing just above where it attaches to the carb and hold it till the engine dies. If the rpm's go WAY up (like a few thousand rpms), then your LSN is too rich. If you pinch the tubing and the engine just dies, then the LSN is too lean. What you're looking for is a slight increase in rpms (like a few hundred rpms) before the engine dies. Doing this along with a proper idle screw setting should get you in the ballpark on the LSN and keep you running.