Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U Can Do 46 Engine Mount

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U Can Do 46 Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 PM
PortCityFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Can Do 46 Engine Mount

Started construction of my U Can Do 46 tonight. Looks great and builds fast. Looks like I am going to have to shim my engine mount about 5/8". With the mount on the firewall and the engine all the way out on the beams, the spinner plate is still buried in the cowling! I am using a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. Has any one else had this problem? I am just getting into 3D and will upgrade engines after I get use to the airplane. Also, why do the instructions say to offset the engine mount to the left? It appears that my spinner will be centered when the engine mount is centered. Are the 4 strokes' castings not centered or something to that affect?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: U Can Do 46 Engine Mount

Follow the instructions! It will come out right as the offset is built in, trust me I have done two UCD's. The 46 is really going to be lacking on this plane and you may need a fuel regulator to keep from flooding out the engine as the tank is too high and can cause this problem. You will like the plane when you get it dialed. I tried a 61 2 stroke and it was not enough, I now have a 91 Mag FS with a Ironbay regulator, sweet setup.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:30 PM
PortCityFlyer

I got the wing completed this morning and am moving on to the fuselauge. Looks like the off center mounting of the engine is to compensate for some angle that the firewall has built into it. I suppose the spinner will be in the center once the mount is installed. Still looking for some one who has installed a 46 or 50 on their U Can Do. Did you have to shim behind the mount to get the spinner/cowl to have the right clearance?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

About the only way to get a fit is by moving the cowling back to fit. Might I suggest you do not install the cowl or cut it up now. Install the engine and other parts and fly the plane w/o the cowl at this time.
I suspect the 46 TT will be a disappointment and you will want more power, no use cutting the cowl until you find out(made that mistake myself). The plane will fly well w/o the cowl so don't worry about that.
Follow directions on the control surface throws until you get used to the plane......
Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have a U-CAN-DO but just finished a Matrix with a SuperTigre 60 and
had to compensate for the engine to cowl distance.
Made a 5/16" spacer from aircraft plywood to go behind the engine mount on
the firewall. Just epoxied it to the firewall, fuelproofed it and used slightly
longer engine mount bolts.

tommy s
Old 03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
themanimal

I just finished a ucd with a kb61 with a pitts muffler on it. I didn't have to shim anything but I mounted the engine horizontally and had to go absolutely crazy on the cowl with my dremel.

Hovers great with the .61.

definately try to get some kind of fuel regulatory. Tank position does suck. I'm using one of those old school control line deals. (syringe and tubing).

have fun. super cool plane