Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

li-poly qwetion

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

li-poly qwetion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 PM
mattrcgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li-poly qwetion

why can't you run a li-poly all the way down
Old 03-15-2004, 05:08 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: li-poly qwetion

Because these batteries dont have memory like NiCads. If you run it all the way down it will shorten the life cycle of the battery. Im glad these batteries dont need to be run all the way down, it saves time, if for some reason you never complete your flight and still have half a battery pack left, you can just continue to charge it again to top it off. One time I ran a 12v lipoly all the way down, then when I went to charge it again, the charger never shut off cause it got a faules reading from the battery and the lipoly pack explodeded into flames! Suddenly I had a model of the Hindenburg
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM
flyingchaos

Because of the li-po/ion chemistry, if you run the cells below 2.5v/cell then copper plating starts to set in. So the batteries effectively creates a short in the cell.

If there is minor copper plating build up already, you may not be able to charge your cells at the max of 1C, and even so, your battery will not be as efficient as a new pack.

In a nutshell, it is worth the investment of either manually keeping an eye on voltage or getting a voltage monitor circuit.

In my case, I have a 2cell etec 1200 lipo, I just stop flying when I feel that the heli is starting to get sluggish with the controls...

-Dan
Old 03-15-2004, 06:01 PM
mattrcgod
My Feedback: (1)

wow thanks guys