Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 06:39 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor?

Good afternoon Bob, Matt:

If you are using the Jetcat Speed sensor and your running the turbine in single channel mode on the radio, how do you activate the cruise control function? Does It require an aux channel to activate it?

I am getting a slight pop on the powermax at startup, is this normal or do I need to adjust the gas setting. If adjusting is necessary, what is the proper procedure for finding the correct setting?

Thank you,
Todd Witkoff
Old 06-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Jason Somes

Default Speed Sensor?

Todd,

When using single channel operation in conjunction with a speed sensor, only the speed limiter function is available. If you switch to dual channel operation all of the speed control features are available by using your start/run/stop switch or knob.

propane pop: If you have been experiencing normal starts for some time and the propane pop seems to have just started. It can be remedied easily with a change of the glow plug. We seldom change gas flow settings and find that a glow plug will usually solve the issue.

Hope this helps,

Jason Somes
JetCat USA
D.F.U.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:51 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default questions

Hi Todd,

Sorry for the late reply.

A pop on ignition is caused by too rich of a propane mixture. As the gas dissipates within the system, the mixture leans and when it finally ignites you have quite a bit of gas and hence the pop.

Generally the most effective remedy is to not fill the propane tank completely. When you first start to see the liquid flow slow down, stop filling. This is still enough for 3-4 starts in my experience.

You can lower the starting gas duty cycle to 70% from the default of 80%, but honestly this has less effect than consistently filling the tank as described above.

Finally, I usually change the plug. We are having very good results with McCoy MC9 (the old DF plug, sometimes marketed as an RC car plug as well). We have also developed a new technique for pulling the coils out.

Take a pin, go into the plug and pull 2 coils out at an angle, in such a manner that when you are done, the 2 coils are still basically coiled, but they are now 90 degrees shifter from where they started, and standing perpendicular from the face of the glow plug. MC59s are also good and they are even easier to modify as the opening in the plug is larger. This technique is less likely to fracture the coil. With the McCoys, you can increase the glow plug voltage up to 2.15 volts, maybe 2.2 but I think that is pushing it.

With a properly modified plug and 2.15 volts, you should get a good light. We have talked about marketing pre modified plugs, but it seems so easy, if there is a demand we will but the handling will make it kind of expensive.

As to your other question., I am running my P-160 the same way, single channel mode with the aux used only for speed control. As described on page 35 of the latest manual, under the LIMITS menu, set the “Aux Control Function” to ON, TrbCtrl OFF. This sets the aux control on and therefore you still learn it during RC setup, but it is not used for turbine control. In this case then the aux switch can be used for speed control or smoker valve, as shown in the other menus.

Remember, even if the aux control is not used, the limiter feature of the speed control is still active, so you can run single channel with a speed sensor and still meet the AMA requirements for speed limiter operation. And low throttle low trim ALWAYS will shut the turbine off in any setting, a great safety feature!
Old 06-15-2002, 05:23 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default Speed Sensor?

Matt and Jason,

Thank you both for your informative replys! I have modified the gas setting to 70% and changed the plug, pulling the coil out as described. My "Pop" is gone on startup!

I am currently using 8 of my 9 channels on my futab radio, the 9th channel is either on or off and cant be used as a three position switch or be used on a knob. Is it possible to activate the speed control fuction with this switch?

Thanks Again,
Todd
Old 06-15-2002, 05:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default hmm that's a good one

may first reaction is that, no you cannot use channel 9 (i fly a 9zaps myself) mainly because you cannot train it without the center position.

But you could spoof it, maybe train it with another channel. First check the limit pulse width on channel 9. then...........

........on second thought, don't do it until I check some things, mainly about how that wacky futaba works!

I will get back to you.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:57 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default Speed Sensor?

Originally posted by lov2flyrc
Matt and Jason,

Thank you both for your informative replys! I have modified the gas setting to 70% and changed the plug, pulling the coil out as described. My "Pop" is gone on startup!

I am currently using 8 of my 9 channels on my futab radio, the 9th channel is either on or off and cant be used as a three position switch or be used on a knob. Is it possible to activate the speed control fuction with this switch?

Thanks Again,
Todd
Todd: A certain very knowledgeable and world renown turbine distributor told me that the Rossi #8 works well to. Because of it’s very heavy coil the glow has to be set to 2.45. I worked with the Rossi from a setting of 2.1 to 2.3 and had zip to fair results then I asked. 2.45 was the magic number . Ken