Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40:1 work?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40:1 work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:02 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40:1 work?

The reason ZDZ recommends 92 octane--is because --that's what they have at the pumps.
This was told to me as being fact - sounds strange but maybe someone from Czech Republic can verify it.
I run 91 oct-- and 35-1 Bike racing oil.(Redline Racing two Stroke) .
Old 03-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't understand why someone would want to pay about 3 times more for a gollon of flight fuel. Smell or no smell. What do they do when they go to the station to fill up their vehicle? Hire someone to do it for them?

Sheesh!
Old 03-13-2004, 06:50 PM
RNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas sets off my asthma. So I only have had glow engines. Glow fuel dosnt. Coleman dosnt. So now I can have a 35% gas Plane run on coleman.

Randy
Old 03-13-2004, 07:02 PM
smokingcrater

I can't understand why someone would want to pay about 3 times more for a gollon of flight fuel. Smell or no smell.
I live in an apartment, so the planes much be stored inside. no matter what, a gas plane does retain some residual odor. coleman fuel doesn't. (I have a very sensitive sense of smell, I can smell the plane anywhere in the apartment...) besides, coleman fuel is $3.27, gasoline is currently $1.74 here, so it is less than double. after 7 gallons, coleman will be $10 more expensive, which I consider well worth it!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Joe, I have been down this path and because there isn't any road tax on the fuel, it is against the law. I even took my plane to the airport so they could see it and it still didn't work.

ORIGINAL: JBrannon

If you go to an airport to buy avgas, by law they cannot pump it into anything but an airplane labaled 100LL avgas. But if you talk to some of the people or know some pilots you may get them to over look the law.

Joe
ORIGINAL: Geistware

I tried to get 100LL once and could not get it.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Desertrat

A word to the wise: this thread is filled with a lot of significant misinformation. There are also some pearls of wisdom. Rather than go into which is which and start a flame war, I caution each of you to research on the web the following: Race fuel, AVGAS, White Gas, Coleman Fuel, Vapor Pressure, and Octane, specifically when used in 2 cycle applications. The motorcycle guys have been at this a lot longer than us, and have some very good articles out there.

FWIW, if the smell bothers you, IMO, the best thing are those additives that make it smell like bubble gum. Cheap, effective, wont void a warranty, and you cant get arrested for buying it.

Roger

Oy-Vey!
Is anyone considering the fact that we have been using this as a fuel in model gassers for more than 20 years without any obvious trend that's showing any discernable degradation of hardware, or performance in model engines?

What's the point in warning others of misinformation (through innuendo), when in fact the information you assert is based on no more than your, er, misinformed opinion?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RE: will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40:1 work?

I asserted my opinion and labeled it such. What makes it misinformed?

There are other posts in here dealing with "facts" about octane, AVGAS, vapor pressure, and coleman fuel that are down right wrong. I didnt say coleman can hurt. I too know of several people who use it with no ill effect. I didnt say AVGAS would hurt, although I have used it and had so-so results (for those guys who want it, ask for the sump fuel at the FBO. Just be sure to get it off the top, the bottom may have a little water in it). I've never used race gas in a model, but I have in my car... I spent the time about 6 months ago to do a little web research on AVGAS and coleman to see what was up. I dont profess to "know" about its octane rating, lack of additives, or effect on these engines. There are good articles out there where people who have the education, training and experience profess such things in scientifically proven studies. I just think it might be a really good idea for someone reading this thread to go look it up on thier own and formulate thier own opinion based on real facts.

Sorry you took offense Mr. Branded, you make a very good point, my opinion had no business in that post and will now be removed.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 03-15-2004, 07:41 PM
hiramboesky

Default RE: RE: will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40:1 work?

I have used Coleman, and sometimes AVGAS 100LL in gassers as large as 150cc with no ill effects.

For those willing to shell out the extra bucks for the luxury of having no smelly van/car/truck/home, then this is certainly a safe, viable fuel.

And yes, as Brnded said, both have been in use for 20 years or longer will no reports of damage to engine, or pilots wallet.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either to anyone as a fuel source if odor is an issue, else why bother paying twice the price?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: will Coleman fuel / white gas and oil 40% work?

Sorry for the big Boo Boo, yes I meant 30:1 to 40:1 not the % statement. Thanks for correcting me.