Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

is this a good deal?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 AM
EddieNewYork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good deal?

http://www.slyshobbyden.net/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=2303

Package: $250.99

Fun Piccolo Helicopter
4 Channel Transmitter(GWS)
Crystal Set
Piccoboard PLUS w/6 channel Receiver
2 Micro Servos(Lexors 201)
Charger(Automatic Peak Charger)
8-Cell-NiMh Battery 600mAh
easy-SIM CD for Free
Old 03-17-2004, 07:25 AM
EddieNewYork

Default RE: is this a good deal?

oh and this one:

http://www.rc-expert.com/product.php?pid=30

Feda Dragonfly D5 Deluxe with Futaba Special - $249.99
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 AM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say u save another 200 dollar and get a better heli... u don't want those little problem this forrum has been discussing about ... lol....so... save few more dolla and buy a cp or non cp.. but with driven tail..
Old 03-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Banished Outside

I have a Dragonfly, I hear that it's a bit more robust than the picolo.

These things are money pits! especially when your learning, but just check out the wealth of info on this board about the Dragonfly/Hummingbird/Thunderbird micro heli's.
You won't be short of help & support.

(With the exception of Helifreak)

Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 PM
helisfreak

It seem everyone disagree with my idea... but... you will end up just like everyone else... tail motor problem... CP are a little bit harder to learn to fly... that is why i said OR... cp or fp.... but the thing i can positive is to get a driven tail... that is the basic idea of a helicopter... the tail is driven by the main... this mean if u upgrade only the main motor and no worry about the second motor. the reason why company design micro helicopter with direct tail... is to make the price look reasonable some what cheap so people WILL buy .. catch people attention... but it come down that u have to spend more and more later on.... even though the tail motor on cost 75 cent... I myself bought a dozen.. and guess what??? only have 2-3 hour on them... and everytime replacing them... and pulling of the pinion could be a pain the ass.. and soldering it... spend at lease 10 min each time... and imagine about this... and im not saying just that.. im saying the autority... it doesn't give u enough autority on your tail ... You're only going to spend maybe another +40 on a kit to have driven tail.. and u just need 1 more servo.. which is 15 buck... and u could have a smooth and no problem....

"now... there is alway an exception... like BanishedOutside... he said he got no problem with his stock motor... and hasn't worn out yet.... well.. there u go..."

Not everyone of us are that lucky... or else i would had win the powerball and buy myself a 10 raptor .60
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Banished Outside

HeliFreak,
No offense meant - I was joking
But also I never said I haven't had problems:
<Quote>These things are money pits!</Quote>
I have changed my main motor, upgraded to a DD tail motor, then gone seperates after a problem with my 3 in 1, but that is over a space of 7 months (not bad in this hobby!)
If it wasn't for these CHEAP entry level heli's then alot of people would not experience this addictive hobby, & personally I feel that a greater interest in a more accessable route into electric RC Helis as spurred commercial design and reduced prices. God knows the Dragonfly is alot cheaper now than when I bought it in May 2003 (FEDA Dragonfly).

Steve.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:34 PM
EddieNewYork

i understand helisfreak, so i started looking into the driventail models but, then most people said to me not to go driven tail becuase it's hard to setup and fly for a newbie. so my reasoning was go with this $250 deal learn how to fly. then buy a whole new kit with a better radio and stuff. what do yo guys think... go driven tail for a newbie?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:46 PM
jbalat

Im sure people with bigger helis have the same kinds of problems. There are so many moving parts and so many things that can go wrong even if you dont crash the model. I remember spending hours doing blade balancing, tracking, clutch problems, cooling fins breaking of, engines catching on fire, replacing rotor shafts, adjusing pitch/throttle mechanism, etc...
The good thing about electric is that you dont have to spend half an hour trying to start the motor. You can go to the park with a heli in one hand and controller in the other.
Bigger helis will cost more to repair. I mean I just bought a head for the dragonfly and it cost me $2.80 which is a bit of a joke in this type of hobby where you would normally be looking at $50 minimum to replace anything on the larger ones.

Overall I think the dragonfly is great for beginners but I do agree that the tail rotor is the cause of most of the problems...
Old 03-17-2004, 06:15 PM
helisfreak

DID I TELL HIM TO GET A GAS AND FULL SIZE HELICOPER ANYWHERE??? NO I DID NOT...
When i said driven tail.. i mean micro electric helicopter with driven tail but FP.... ex.. the lite machine corona.. what so hard about seting it up??? i mean it a FP... same as dragonfly... just the tail is driven and it has pitch.. .and what so hard about that?? just adjust the 3rd servo... that servo is pluck into ur gyro same thing with the direct tail... Well... i do understand u just want something simple to learn with??? But im sorry to say this... what make u think it easy to learn when u have all this problem with the tail???? and it will spin nut if the tail is dying out... what make u thinking troubleshotting and experience through all this motor trying to find the one that work the best for this tail will make it easier on learning?... Just a couple of my opinion... I haven't experience with a lot of rc helicopter... but I can say that I had experience a lot with my aerohawk... .and guess wut??? now... im trying to fix almost everything on it... moding everything... All the cheap micro helicopter they selll us WILL FLY (some people complain that it doesn't fly with stock) but they're wrong.. they do fly with stock... but the problem is.. how long can they fly.. how well can they fly... Many people also said... it a reasonable price for a helicopter like that to only cost 250... well...the problem is... U ARE NOT GOING TO BE FLYING FOR LONG just that 250... almost everyone in here has gone separate.. and upgrade **** load of stuff on their... .and ask urself why...

Now.. all this is my opinion.... u don't have to do it.. but take it in consideration...
Old 03-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Xperimental

From my point of view, if i had the money, i would buy the LMH Corona for my first FP Heli... But the thing is, it's more expensive than feda/aerohawk (i'm talking when it's all gathered up as a complete set/RTF). It's even as expensive as buying an RTF CP Hornet! With that kind of money... i wouldn't buy the Corona, but straight to the Hornet.

But if you don't have the budget, i would still recommend the dragonfly/hummingbird. Despite of all the problems, from the financial point of view, it's still waaaaayyy far much cheaper than the cost of the corona. And that's not including the repairs you'd have to make IF you crash that particular corona. Even after buying 20 or more tail motor, it's still much cheaper.

Think of all the problems that you will encounter in flying/preparing for the dragonfly/hummingbird as a training lesson to better prepare ourselves in future much more expensive helis.

The dragonfly/hummingbird is not a problem, unless i create problems for it.