Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Echo 8 Power Question?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Echo 8 Power Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:01 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Echo 8 Power Question?

I am planning on purchasing an Echo 8 Helicopter from Hobby Lobby, Complete Package deal. (this is my 3rd Heli. I am an expierenced Flyer, But am still learning) I basically fly my helis within walking distance from my house and do all my battery charging right in my workshop or garage because I have a large empty feild right across the street from my house were i fly, so I don't need to bother with field batteries, I like charging all my batteries with AC or AC/DC Chargers using AC Wall current. I curently own 2 hornets now and the charger i use for them wont work on the Echo 8. Anyway, the charger that comes with the Echo 8 Kit is a DC Charger only, Now I plan on using the stock batteries that come with the Echo 8, they are 3000 mAh 8 cell Nicads. Do you guys know of an AC or AC/DC Charger that will charge those batteries from my AC wall outlet? I know about using a converter, but Don from Hobby Lobby said that I would need to charge the batteries Overnight if I use that AC-DC Converter. Also Does anybody know If and What Kind of Li-Poly battery and AC Charger combo I can use for the Echo 8, I'd rather go with Li-polys on the Echo 8 if I can right from the start, Cause I know I will eventually want that, Both my Hornets are running on Li-polys, and I like the results!

Thanks in Advance Guys
Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Echo 8 Power Question?

Are u sure u want to purchase it from hobby lobby... they guarantee the lowest price and would do 10% price match.. all u got to do is email and prove to them who sell lower then them..

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/newpage1.htm

Well.. i email them with this site... 149 for the kit instead.. and the guy email me back.. changing the subject.... saying this "here is our site u can read and get some more information on the eco..."
WHAT The hell.. i didn't even ask him that... I ask him... How come they have a lower price then him, what does he have extra in the kit that they don't have.. .and no answer... lol.. so.. just my opinion... hey.. i was looking into eco 8 to... and still looking...

What kind of radio do u have and planing to use.. eco 8 have that machanical mixing arm.... which many people say it no good..
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
FlyingFish

Well Here's The deal Helisfreak I dont have a radio for the echo 8, i dont have or know what gyro to use and any of that stuff! That's why I was purchasing the complete kit from Hobby-Lobby, Theirs NO GUESS WORK! Everything you need to build the heli comes in one package, just like when I purchased my hornet from Hobby Lobby, everything i needed for the hornet was their infront of me. I'm not worried about price, When I build an RC Heli, If Im not sure what I need, I like having it all their in front of me! Here's the Hobby lobby Complete Echo 8 Page; http://www.hobby-lobby.com/eco.htm And as far as the collective pitch Mixer control is concerned, It will allow you to use a regular 4 channel radio, and I rather follow instructions for that then play around with CCPM radio that, by the way I KNOW Nothing about. That might confuss me more.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 PM
helisfreak

Here.. from all the reasearch i have done for the eco.. since the eco has the machanical mixer thing.. u only need 4-5 channel to work for cp...(not sure if it 5 or more... or 4-5... but arround there...no special radio is need for this eco.. as you know.. when they sell u package... most of the stuff come with it suck...

I would recamend..

1. Futaba gy-240
2. Brushlless motor with brushless esc.. and u can usually get this for 150 both.... believe it.. u will upgrade anyway.. why spend money on the **** motor now and throw it away later..
3. a simple radio...

Well.... but sinc said money is not an issue to you... then you can waste it all you want.. but to me... money is an issue.. but good quality stuff that can satisfy u and don't regret later on is a bigger issue
Old 03-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Crawler

It's a difficult task to get that Kit in the air from Hobby-lobby... Get yourself a Gyro to save some of the headaches!!!! Yes a four channel Radio will get it in the Air, you use a Y connector between the Throttle and Pitch slider

The Battery charger,,, Towers has a Triton charger that will charge all the batteries that you have or will get for $120... Radio shack or somewhere like that has the AC/DC converters which you plug into your wall outlet then plug your charger in to the converter.....

Hope this helps
Old 03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
FlyingFish

Hi Crawler,
Thanks for the info, But if I need to buy a Power Converter for the Triton Charger, I may as well just buy a power converter and just stick with the stock charger that comes with the Hobby Lobby Full kit for now. Getting back to the Echo 8, I agree I would never even attemp to Fly without a gyro and I now see that the full Echo Kit dose NOT include a gyro, So Im going to have to pick one up. Aside from the lack of gyro, Is Their any other reason why You say getting the Hobby Lobby kit into the air would be difficult, I know about the mixer being a pain to set up and all, but are their any other reasons why this may be a hard kit to get air born?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:44 PM
helisfreak

well... your choice.. i had a lot more to say about this.. but im not even going to bother.. ....

add: personally i think eco8 are great helicopter... i want one to... but i will wait and make the best ouf of it... meaning im going to put one together... not buying as whole package so i don't piss the hell out of myself later on..
Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
R Rocks

The ECO 8 is a very nice heli to fly, sure you will like it alot. I found out real fast all the up grades were very spendy but well worth it. One thing I will say the mixer will work it's not ez to set up right but it will work, if you can get a radio with ccpm mixing it will take you a long ways.