Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

how do you stop 4 stroke slobber from going through firewall?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

how do you stop 4 stroke slobber from going through firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 08:56 PM
ctatham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you stop 4 stroke slobber from going through firewall?

I have an ultra stick 40 with a saito 65. I have the fuel and pressure lines going through the holes in the firewall the same size as the fuel tubing. I tried putting silocone around them but it still seems to be letting some in and of course now the area is all greasy so I'm sure nothing else will stick. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2002, 09:52 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use silicone RTV to seal all holes in my firewall, but I do it before the model ever sees the first drop of fuel. Since it's past this time for you, I'd suggest pulling the engine and tank, then cleaning the firewall with laquer thinner or another cleaner that will cut the oil but not leave a residue. Replace the fuel lines as they have oil on them as well. Remount the tank, then put a healthy amount of RTV on the lines where they exit the firewall.

Good luck.
John
Old 06-15-2002, 10:29 PM
OUTCAST

ctatham, Go to you local auto parts store and buy a can of Brake Cleen. It removes oil and grease with no residue. Then work the silicone in around the fuel lines.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:22 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Along these lines, how bad of an idea is it to run a servo right behind the firewall with a 2-56 pushrod going straight to the throttle through a 1/4" hole? There aren't a lot of other options on this Lanier 540 / Saito 180 I'm putting together. Is this a bad idea? Ive never experienced slop coming thru the firewall...

I suppose I could run a flex.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:54 AM
ctatham

Default slop

pulling the engine off tonight to seal things up I noticed the nipple on the back of the engine case. Should that be directed away with some hose? Does that nipple eject fuel when running. It just seems so wet back there it can't be normal...I'm a bit rich becuase its new but a st bernard puts our less slop than this engine !
Old 06-16-2002, 01:58 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

That's the crankcase vent. Hook up a fuel line and hang it out the bottom of the cowl. That's where the blow-by oil blows out. It's also handy to squirt after-run oil into the same line after a run.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Yea..that where your mess is coming from..put some tubing on it and route it down to the bottom of the plane.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Ron McGrath
My Feedback: (10)

Default fuel

I run all 4cycles from a 48 surpass to a saito 150 or a os supercharged 120 and I always try to set up the tank so that the plug for the tank sticks through the firewall and then I seal that with silicone but if you have a case that the fuel line goes through the fire wall I make the hole in the fire wall as tight as you can then I use Pacer gapfilling ca (green label) to penetrate into the firewall to get a good seal on the fuel tube after you seal it you must drill it out again this will also work if the wood is contaminated with oil because that ca glue is a surface insensitive product that will stick were others will not. you should try to clean it the best you can before doing this.
sometimes heating it with a heat gun will cause the oil to come to the surface and then can be wiped away then clean with some solvent. Make sure that there are no sharp edges on the fire wall from the glue that could rub through the fuel tube. the nipple that you are talking about is a crank case vent and that is were the oil that blows by the ring on the cylinder makes it out of the engine just like the other person said put a tube out the bottom of the airplane I try to get it as far out as I can sometimes I run it down the landing gear you will still get oil in the cowl but nothing like you are getting now !!!! good luck

Ron McGrath
Old 06-19-2002, 02:09 AM
lynngordon

Before sealing up the area, since you already have had fuel soaking into the firewall, buy a can of K2R spot remover, spray it on the wood, let it sit overnight, and vacuum or brush it off the next morning. You may have to do this a couple of times to get all the oil out of the wood. Then seal it up, put a long piece of fuel tubing on the crankcase nipple, and route it to where the oil will not get on the plane.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:51 PM
stevta
My Feedback: (1)

Default Vent

When you put a hose on the vent make sure its still leaking oil.
If this hose is too long it can cause the engine to start running rough. The pressure in the vent is not sufficient to blow out the oil if the hose is too long.
Acouple of inches is fine but don't try to run the hose all the way back to the tail :-)
Steve
Old 06-19-2002, 06:02 PM
ctatham

Default vent

I already did this with a 2-3 inch hose the exits below the front of the firewall. Made a HUGE difference ! No more issue. I also used goop to seal around the through firewall passage and that held up very well even with the greasy surface.

I am very happy and don't think I will buy another 2 stroke. The saito starts on the first flick every time, idles perfectly and sounds amazing.