Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Has anyone completed and flown a Comp-Arf 2.3 Extra?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Has anyone completed and flown a Comp-Arf 2.3 Extra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Has anyone completed and flown a Comp-Arf 2.3 Extra?

This plane has been out for months and I have yet to see a meaningfull thread that included set-up and flight reports. There must be someone out there with information that is well worth sharing. Ya, I know that the DA boys are flying one with a DA-50 with a tuned pipe, but there must be other people with different set-ups. If so, please chime in. I should be getting my 2.3 with the JR paint scheme in a few weeks and it would be nice to know things about this bird that other people have learned (the hard way)
Paul
Old 03-17-2004, 02:24 AM
JRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone completed and flown a Comp-Arf 2.3 Extra?

HI PAUL,
I FLEW MY 2.3 EXTRA LAST WEEKEND AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY IT FLIES. I PUT 1 CLICK OF UP ELEV AND 1 CLICK OF RIGHT AILERON.
I HAVE A 3W75PM UP FRONT WHICH IS BRAND NEW AND RUNNING RICH BUT STILL HAS HEAPS OF POWER. ALL UP WEIGHT OF 21.5LBS.
THE PLANE TURNS ON THE ELEVATOR VERY WELL AND HAS NO BAD HABITS AT THIS STAGE AS IT ONLY HAS 2 FLIGHTS ON IT AT THE MOMENT.
I WILL FLY IT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AFTER SOME MINOR CHANGES TO SERVO SETUP. I"M USING HITEC DIGITAL SERVOS ALL ROUND.
THE BUILDING OF THE KIT WAS A BREEZE AND EVERYTHING WENT TOGRTHER WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. I SET UP INSIDE AS PER THE PLANS AND ONLY ADDED A SMOKE SYSTEM.
THE MOTOR TOOK SOME WORK TO GET IT TO FIT AS THE ENGINE BOX STILL COMES FOR THE DA50. WASN"T ANY GREAT DRAMA IT JUST TOOK SOME THINKING TO GET TO WORK THE WAY I WANTED IT TO.
ALL IN ALL I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE KIT, THE WAY IT FLIES AND HANDLES.

REGARDS,
JR MAN
Old 03-17-2004, 08:11 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul Eagon

This plane has been out for months and I have yet to see a meaningfull thread that included set-up and flight reports. There must be someone out there with information that is well worth sharing. Ya, I know that the DA boys are flying one with a DA-50 with a tuned pipe, but there must be other people with different set-ups. If so, please chime in. I should be getting my 2.3 with the JR paint scheme in a few weeks and it would be nice to know things about this bird that other people have learned (the hard way)
Paul
Paul,
Sorry dude - I'm in no rush to get mine done. Seasons starting and I've been busy flying my 2.6 when I have the chance. Besides I'm going to use the DA set up. Here is a pic of Brian Huffmiers 2.3 at the challange. the only thing notable is the nose weight. The plane tracked well and flew with athority. JR man - do you have any pictures?
RickP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40953.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	112400   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43452.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	112401  
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Rick,
did you see Brian fly that plane? Thanks for the report JRman. Sorry to step in Paul, I want some real date too, especially with the DA50/pipe.

Joe
Old 03-17-2004, 04:00 PM
RickP

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

Rick,
did you see Brian fly that plane? Thanks for the report JRman. Sorry to step in Paul, I want some real date too, especially with the DA50/pipe.

Joe
Joe,
It was all you could ask for and them some; he flew it several times. TR'n on the deck - awsome pull out - powerfull uplines. What more can I say? I have seen it with my own eyes. I can't say that it's anything other then a perfect combination. Except with that pipe you have to remake all of the servo tray hardware. Plus it's 1# lighter then a ZDZ-80.
The reason the cowel is off in that pic is because the motor dome screws started backing out.
RickP
Old 03-17-2004, 05:09 PM
RickP

AND, just remember - I was a strong advocate for the ZDZ-80 when I started. So it was impressive enough for me not only to consider it but do a 180 on my view point. But the final proof will be when I fly it. I'll let you know then.
RickP
[/quote]
Old 03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Thank again Rick. How much extra work do you think the re-making of the servo trays would be? That is too bad the lead had to be added. Looking at yours do you think there is anything you could bring up from the aft? Elevator servos on pull pull?

Joe
Old 03-18-2004, 12:04 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JRMAN:
Thanks for the info. What is the PM version of the 3W75? What exhaust system are you using? A few pictures of your set-up would be great!
Paul
Old 03-18-2004, 08:32 AM
RickP

Joe,
If it wasn't for the fact that it doesn't balance so great with the 50 being so light is one major factor against this combo. Keep in mind that Brian's 2.3 is using Lithium packs too - perhaps if the ignition pack is Nimh you might not need so much. Main packs could help to - but I want to keep them away from the ignition. I was going to put 1 8611 on rudder but am considering putting two 8411's in front of the spar. I have to get to painting first. I don't think the Servo trays will be a big deal, but it just sux that it's already done for me and I can't use it :-(

There isn't anything I can do the tail I think. That all looks rock solid in design and construction. Anything I do will compromise that so I'm not willing to fool with it. Best I can do is keep the guts forward.
RickP
Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

RICK is it an optical elusion or is the alot of down thrust in that picture?