Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Aerohawk Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Aerohawk Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
leeboy22001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerohawk Battery

Have now finished looking into whether the aerohawk as it is can use a 11.1V Li-ion battery, and the answer is... yes with the addition of a small heatsink on the linear reg.

Why? Well I have done some tests, the Aerohawk main board requires 200mA (load supply) with both servos moving at the same time. The peak current is about 400mA (both servo's at maximum limit), but this can be ignored. Now with the standard 8.4V battery and 200mA load supply the linear reg has to dissipate 0.68Watts into heat, with a 11.1V battery this would be 1.22W. Now assuming the Ambient temperture of the room is 25degC, with the standard 8.4V battery no extra heatsink is required, but if a 11.1V battery is used then an area of about 0.5insquared copper would be required! a tiny IC heatsink attached with special glue will do the job, but I would not recomend anyone using a 11.1V battery unless this was done, otherwise the regulator will burn-out and fail!! which could destroy your mixerboard!

Hope this is of help

Lee
Old 03-10-2004, 12:11 PM
tahustvedt

Interesting. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
quaker1

Hi all. I think you are being far too technical with the battery voltage, there is always tolerance bult into electronics.
My aerohawk is using 11.1 volt lipo and a 310 tuning motor without any problems, my tail motor is out of a hummingbird ll. All I did was put heatsinks on the fet`s which greatly improved their capacity, after all that is what makes electronics fail is heat.

Maybe Ive just been lucky but Ive had my bird now for about 4 months and the only thing thats gone wrong is the tail motor which was a lesser quality than the HB ll. The new tail motor is about 3 1/2 months old.

Im gonna push my luck now and Im going to go for the HB 370 motor and see how things go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27473.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	112540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98187.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	112541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46217.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	112542  
Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
quaker1

Hey leeboy22001 I was wondering where on the board is the linear reg?

I dont think I have a heatsink on that.[X(]