Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Bucking Voyager E

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Bucking Voyager E

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 05:25 PM
norfolk2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bucking Voyager E

Need Help. What might cause the heli to buck fore and aft? The blades are in track and balanced. The only thing I can think of is the RPM's or low battery. HELP
Old 12-28-2003, 05:57 PM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Default RE: Bucking Voyager E

It's headspeed. Go to a 8 cell battery, and lower the hover pitch. Please note- for many, if not most people,including me, the stock ESC handled the 8 cell batt fine. BUT, others have said they smoked it. You pays your money and takes your chances. IMHO, you won't be satisfied till you go brushless anyway.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:57 PM
rwainw

norfolk2,

Welcome to the VE dance or as it's typically refered to "the wobbles"!! The most common cause of the wobbles is low head speed (typically less than about 1200 to 1300 rpm) which is in turn usually caused by a low battery condition (either by discharge or failure to charge completely). How many cells and what type? Are you using the stock motor?? What percentage throttle curve are you using?? Another good source of information is the VE group over on Yahoo...here's the link...[link=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRVoyagerE/]Yahoo Voyager Group[/link]. With a little more info we can probably help [8D].
Old 12-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Den
My Feedback: (4)

I bought the voyager when it first came out. The bucking was an issue with me too . I was told there is no fix it is inherent with the design. Good luck I have many helis scale and electric and I have to say the voyager was a real poorly designed pile of junk. My corona puts the voyager to shame. Also do not use a loaded antenna and for sure a pcm receiver. Sell it before you have a ton of crash parts. For the same doe you could be flying a nicer heli. The under carrage is too weak to hold 8 cells and will break on landings that are tougher than a lite touch down easy. My opinion is stricktly from expirence. I wish you luck but I strongly feel that this is one of the worst or the worst electric I have ever owned. Sorry I don't have anything good to say about this subject.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:02 PM
norfolk2

rwainw
I am running the Astro brushless and controler with the stock 7 cell 2400 battery. Iam not sure how to check the rpm's on a heli. I have a meter to check airplane rpms will that work. I just changed my throttle curve, don't know if that will help or not, guess I need to go with an 8 cell pack or LiPoly's.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:34 PM
rwainw

norfolk2,

Give an 8 cell pack a try (I'd go for a 3300mah NiMH if your charger does NiMH) and use a 16t pinion gear. With a throttle curve in Normal at 0%-45%-85%-90%-100% (for a 5 point curve..if your radio is 3 point just use first, middle, and last values) and in Idle Up 1 (or Sport again depending on radio) use a straight 90% all the way across. This will let the motor run in it's best rpm range while leaving a bit of "headroom" for when you load up the rotor during manuvering. I spool up in Normal to mid stick then switch to Idle Up for flying.

Lipolys are great, but be careful with the Astro motor as they tend to run hot and with LiPO you will be flying longer. If you go that route, check your motor temp carefully at smaller intervals until you know how much time it can take. I think the airplane optical tachs will work, but be careful that you don't get the paddles and the blades at the same time or it will throw off the calculation. Ideally you want about 1600 to 1700 rpms for general flying around. Anything below 1400 is bordering on the wobbles. Let me know if I can be of anymore help. Have Fun !!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:59 PM
norfolk2

rwainw,

Thank You for the help. The more I read the more I think the head speed is the problem. I will take your advice. Thanks again
Old 12-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Den
My Feedback: (4)

I don't think it's head speed because it's going to shake as you wind up and wind down from stop .I t doesn't shake at hover speed. You'll just have to see for yourself. I guess you need more advice from voyager owners not theory! When you load up the under carriage with 8 cells it's going to be a pretzel. Watch and see.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:56 PM
bmratc72

Den, I have a Voyager E with stock motor and use an 8 cell battery on it and havent't had a problem. The only problem is me crashing it. I lost control from about 15 feet and crashed real hard destroyed the blades and components in the rotor head but the undercarrage was fine. I've read alot of posts where people are real happy with there Voyager E. The only negative thing I've read was that it does not perform Aerobatics very well. It seems to be a fairly smooth heli for the amount of time I can keep it airborne. The one reason I didn't want to go with the corona is because it is not 3D capable. Not that I have the ability to fly aerobatics now but would like something to upgrade later.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:39 AM
KnimRod

Ralph is right about the wobbles being headspeed induced. You'll find a wealth of info regarding this on the Yahoo Voyager group. There are some mods you can do to reduce or eliminate the low speed wobbles. The easiest thing to do is what Ralph said; Increase the headspeed. I've banged my VE up a few times with a 10 cell pack in the undercarriage and not broken anything related to it. Good luck!

Lance
Old 12-29-2003, 07:43 AM
rwainw

Den,

My information about the wobbles was the gained the hard way...through experience...NOT theory!! I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the VE is a good bird with a little attention to detail and some MINOR upgrades (8 cell battery) and a great bird with more extensive upgrades. The wobbles are a result of low head speed, period. Almost every heli has a slight wobble during spool up and spool down. Is it more noticeable on the VE...Yes....is it a problem...Not as long as the actual headspeed during flight is above 1400 rpms. If you were told that it is uncorrectable, you were told WRONG.

The stock motor in the VE is not the best...I won't argue that, but even it can be made to fly the heli well with an 8 cell pack and some basic motor maintenance. As for the gear, after my second Astro motor seizure I had to attempt an auto to save it....never a fun thing with a high loaded rotor (which the VE is). With a high descent rate from about 30ft the gear held up just fine...better than the rest of the heli in fact.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:13 PM
brian1

I have just installed an Astro 020 to combat the wobbles. It didn't help! I'm getting about the same run times and head speed as with the stock setup. Any Ideas???
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
smeegarn

Brian1,

To combat the wobbles, as has previously been mentioned, you need to up the headspeed by way of either a larger pack or a 16T pinion. I am currently using and Astro 020 with 8200 Lipo which gives a good headspeed on the 15T pinion. I have also installed a fan from a computer CPU to try and keep it cool. Unfortunately this motor has spent more time being repaired under warranty than flying[][] When its working its great with 20-25 flights easy.

Good Luck
Old 03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
brian1

About three days after I installed my new Astro 020, it froze and had to be sent back for repairs. It is now two and a half weeks later and has just now been shipped back to me (after numerous phone calls and emails asking the status of the repiar). Are these motors worth messing with???