Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Canisters for DA-100

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 06:04 PM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canisters for DA-100

I am building a Godfrey 32.5% Extra and am thinking about installing a DA-100 engine. A club member has one in his model with the stock mufflers, and it is very, very LOUD. I am thinking about the Desert Aircraft canister type of mufflers. I have seen and heard the 3W canister type mufflers and they seem to work very well and I was impressed with them. I have not seen or heard the canister types on DA 100 (or the DA-150). They seem much smaller than the 3W canisters, and I am wondering if they work as well.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:51 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default DA Cans

I fly a 3W 150 w/ PEFA crossover cans. I fly with a couple of guys who are flying the DA 100 w/ 2 into 1 can. Seems pretty good overall. You give up a little in midrange, but not enough to really worry about. Put that and a 3 bladed prop on it and a .40 size plane will be louder!!!!!

I have not seen anyone with a two can crossover system for the DA 100 yet. If they can get it to work as well at the 3W set-up, it would be the ideal match.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

The Krumscheid cans will boost power...about 200 more rpm. If you are going to add weight, might as well add some power.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:22 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default da 100 cans ?

Hey Diablo

who sells the Krumscheid cans ? Any mods. needed to use them ?

TIA
Doug
Old 06-17-2002, 01:38 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Where to buy.

Hi Doug,

You can get them from Desert Aircraft. http://www.desertaircraft.com/exhaust.html They also sell headers for the DA and flex tubing, couplers etc. BTW, I would get the 70cc version not the 50cc version as I believe that is the high end of the size, not the low end.

BTW, besides the straight outlet and 90 degree outlet models that Desert has on their site, Krumscheid also makes a front exit version that you can see on their site. I don't know if Desert carries this style. http://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de/

Bill
Old 06-19-2002, 04:47 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default DA Cansters

Hello Bill

How are you doing ? Yeah here I am buying stuff for a H9 1/3 232 cap and I still have my H9 1/4 cap with the taurus 2.6 sitting on my work bench with little time to work on them ! Have not even bench run the taurus, but it's looking good just sitting there ! Have you seen the H9 1/3 cap ? Just got mind yesterday. Very light and well made. Thank you for info on the cansters, will be looking into them. Do you have a DA 100 or 150 ? If so how do you like them ?

Thanks again
Doug
Old 06-19-2002, 04:58 PM
bpryor

Default Cap and DA

>>Have you seen the H9 1/3 cap ?

I owned one for about 3 weeks, but never got the engine mounted or flew it. I agree, it was a very nicely built ARF.

>>Do you have a DA 100 or 150 ? If so how do you like them ?

I have owned a DA-150 but not a 100. They are everything people say they are, very excellent motors, but I have to say i like the 3W's just as well. I think it is 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. The lightness of the DA's is an advantage if you don't have one of the new lightweight 3W's.

I was going to put a ZDZ80 on my CAP. The light weight, and still excellent power(though no matter what anyone says, they are not at the same level power as the good 100's), I thought would be a the best matchup when considering power, total weight and wing loading.

You really should get that Taurus going, that Cap will REALLY perform with that on there.

Bill
Old 06-20-2002, 12:48 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Has anyone put pipes on the 1/3 H9 Cap? I would love to see a pic to see if there is enough room to fit it all and not make huge holes in the fuse.
If you have, what type or model header and pipe/can did you buy?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Mike Brown99

I have a set of the Pefa canisters on my H9 Cap. You will have to run them on an angle up over the top of the wing tube. You will also have to make a heat shielded floor above the pipes for the fuel tank (and cut out all of the foam under the canopy).
As far as headers go, I'm using the 3W aluminum header pipes (cut very short) with the SS flex pipe going to the can.

Take some time and look at it and you will find a way to make all the stuff fit.

good luck
Mike

BTW: 3W100 TOC is way too much engine for this plane but it is a lot of fun.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:06 PM
bpryor

Default Single can installation

Here's a link to Dick Hanson's site with pictures of a single can installation for a ZDZ80. Here's the link:http://www.concentric.net/~Dhmodels/workshop9.html