Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What is the Ideal Workbench Height?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What is the Ideal Workbench Height?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:20 AM
tyrolean_marcus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the Ideal Workbench Height?

Good Day All,

My workshop is on the upper floor of a detached two level garage, and is still in the construction phase. Now is still a relatively convenient time to make changes to the plans.

I'm looking for input about the ideal Workbench height, and depth.

Any other information about types of seating used (i.e. rolling stool), different types of workbench surfaces, and the best type of floor covering to use, would also be welcome.

Cheers,

Marcus.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:26 AM
beepee

Default RE: What is the Ideal Workbench Height?

Marcus,

I am 5-11 and my benches are at about 43" ht. Seems comfortable enough. I also have a drafting stool I use sometimes, but it is getting to the point that the floor is so cluttered that it won't roll anymore. :-)

Generally I find most standard bench heights are too low for comfort, but mine works out OK. I guess because I have to get my face close to the work so often.

Think of what is comfortable for YOU and go with it.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
SDR-Hammer

Ideal workbench height is really a personal preference. I like my benches tall so I’m not bending to do work and I like to stand when I work. I have a buddy that likes his low about 32â€. It works well for him when he sits on his stool, which is most of the time. I know of guys that have taken their glasses focal point (mostly bi-focal wearers) into account for bench height. Also need to consider any bench top tools you may use such as a scroll saw, drill press, etc. because a bench that is too high will make some of these tools awkward to operate. May want to consider what a lot of people do and that is incorporate a multi-level bench.

Just to give you an idea of heights that you are typically used to, a kitchen counter top is about 37†high and 25 †deep. A bar is anywhere from 43†to 50†high. A typical bathroom vanity top is roughly 31†high and 19†deep.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I know this is a little off topic regarding height, but you might want to take the following into consideration as well.

I had read in an old (very old) model magazine that they suggest using a cheap standard interior house door for a light workbench. It is flat, won't warp and is cheap.

I personally have a heavier bench made from 2X4's and 3/4 ply that is hinged to the wall at the back and has hinged legs on the front. That way I can fold the front legs up and lower the bench against the wall when not in use (never!).

I always put a thin sheet of plywood on all my benches, tacked down with 3/4 inch finishing nails that can be removed and replaced when worn.

My vise, grinder, scroll saw, etc are always mounted on 3/4 inch plywood with two holes. The two holes for all the mounts are the same and match two holes in the bench where I can use "wing nuts" to mount them easily when needed.

Another suggestion is to put in at least two light fixtures, one at each end of the bench (one over the middle is nice as well) this eliminates shadows when working on a project.

Hope the above is of interest to you.

Best regards,

Wayne
Old 03-23-2004, 10:07 AM
bent

I'm 5'11" and my stand up work bench is at 39 1/2". Never had any back problems. I tried a tall stool but it seemed to always be in the way. I'm usually shoeless so concrete floor has a double carpet mat. Look after your back and feet and your building sessions will never end!
Gary
Old 03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
TriPacerDave

I found this formula and used it for my workbench:

- Stand up straight (just like Mom always told you) with your arms at your sides.
- Hold your hands flat, fingers-forward so that your palms are facing the floor.
- Have someone measure the distance from your palms to the floor. Use this for your workbench height.

This formula made my new bench a little higher than the old one, and so far I like it better.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Tripacerdave,

I had heard the same thing from an old craftsman from England, he said do the same thing, but clench your fists and your knuckles should be the height of the top of your workbench.

I find this great for carpentry, this puts my projects (chairs, benches etc.) just at the right height when on the bench when standing. Its also OK for when your sitting working on small items such as models - its a little too low for me if I have to stand and work on planes.

I think you need to identify what you would be working on, and whether you will be standing or sitting while working.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wayne
Old 03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Mine is 43" high (I'm 6'4"), 4'x8', sits in the middle of the room so I can walk around it. Floor is covered with the cheapest no-wax vinyl flooring Home Depot had at the time - roll, not individual squares - 'cuz it was in clearance at 80% off. Works great with minimal seams and easy to clean. Got a couple of foam mats for standing on, old bar stools for sitting. Rollaway tool boxes underneath.

Got one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38778 to work on completed planes - real handy.

Top of table is 3/4" MDF. I cover it with a sheet of 1/2" MDF that has soundboard glued to one side and white shower board to the other. Build on the soundboard (takes pins real well), everything else on the showerboard. I also have a 30x48" piece of tempered glass that I lay on top for cutting covering with - cleanest edges you ever saw, but EATS blades !
Old 03-23-2004, 03:42 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not make multible benches at sit down and stand up heights?

My sit down ones are at 28", while my stand up bench is at 35".

This works for me, and I stand at 5'9".

Simply build to whatever is comfortable to YOU.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71296.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	114646  
Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

I like mine so that I can put my elbows on the bench to hold my head when I realize I just CA'd my second left fuselage half!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:16 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I had a high bench hinged to the wall. Never needed to drop it. More important on larger models it was difficult to move strutures. I moved the bench to the center of the room. Now I can move large pieces easily and store everything against the walls. I lower the height because I could not look into/over larger models. Currently I might sit for building wing and stand when planking a fuse or installing the radio. I fit the fuse into a styrofoam cooler if the table is to low. I work off of glass surface on an old dining room table about 30", the cooler raises this about a foot. Its the best so far. A lot of these ideas came from the Dave Platt videos.

Carl