Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tuning the Savage

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:41 PM
ct4s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the Savage

Hi, needing a little help with tuning my brand new savage. It's running pretty good but needs some tuning. It wants to stall out if I let it idle or if I go down the road and left off the gas and apply the brake to make a U turn to come back, it stalls out after applying the brake, also it does wheelies through the gas but not all the time, I think it needs a little tuning on the low speed setting and top speed isn't full force it seems like, it seems like it's going a little slow for top end, and when i punch it from a stop it sputters for a second. Also it doesn't wheelie on the road from a stop. Please help out with some info or links on tuning to fix this. Otherwise it's doing good and I love it, just need to tweak the tuning some. Oh and the factory setting with the high speed needle was off, it bogged down bad and stalled or went really slow, like 10 maybe 15 mph top end so I put it lean like 3 1/2 turns in (more rich) and gets up there but I think it still doesn't hit 45 so just needs some tuning.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 09:57 PM
ct4s

Default RE: Tuning the Savage

oh also i'm on the 4th or 5th tank of gas and I'm doing full throttle bursts, i have been since 3rd tank, but not holding it full throttle for to long. just keeping it at different speeds, up and down, is this hurting it? Still in the break in process, should I be going real slow with it for another tank or 2?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:09 PM
vizaracer

LOL. this is an example of having to read the instructions. the engine shouldnt be taken full speed while in break in. it can and i bet did harm it and will limit the life of the engine. i wasnt even going like 10 mph on my 6th tank. around the 7th or 8th tank, you will gain ALOT of torque and speed. you NEVER try to wheelie during BREAK IN. you should be going very slow for like the 8 or 9 tanks. and if you leaned your engine out during break in, definate NO-NO. the truck only goes like 42 mph also. its the T-maxx that goes 45 mph. i ran my engine at 3 1/2 turns and i was at like my 15th tank. for my first 2 tanks, i let the truck sit there and idle. also, are you letting 10 minutes before inbetween each tank of gas used during break in? your suppose to do that. you never tune your engine during break in also. you run it at rich because its a brand new engine. you can tune it after break in.

i dont really have any suggestions that can help you. have fun with it though and read the directions BEFORE you start the engine up next. also, LISTEN to what they say. do everything they tell you to do for break in. also, tune it richer to where it was before.

P.S.- the reason your engine died when you hit your brake is just a idle screw adjustment. the engine was closing the carb all the way.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
ct4s

hoping i didn't mess the engine up doing this, i ran it at idle for 2 tanks of gas, then filled it up and hit the road, i have been goin full speed down the road but haven't held it at full throttle for more than 5 seconds or so, just going fast down the road, also fast through gas and doing some wheelies by punching the gas from a stop. Haven't been going hard on it, or I don't think I have been, but like i say I have been going fast through gas, doing some wheelies and full throttle for 5 seconds or so up and down the road, did I just cut the engline life? I've done this since the 3rd tank, maybe at 3 1/2 (wouldn't go fast for a while had to tune it) and i'm on about the 4th or 5th tank now, also i have tuned it from factory settings and after reading on the web I'm thinking of putting back to factory settings and leaving it there for another 5 tanks or so, would this help after already tuning it? I just don't wanna mess up the engine and have looked for break in procedures on the web but haven't found any until tonight after running my truck today from 3rd to 5th tank (i think) and read to not mess with factory settings and to keep it under 10mph and i've been hitting full throttle on road and on grass!!! please help, did i just mess up my engines life!!!???
Old 03-24-2004, 11:46 PM
vizaracer

you probably did mess up its life. theres no way to tell though. if you were able to do a wheelie, you were hitting the throttle hard enough to hurt the engine. the break in procedures arent in the savage 25 booklet. they are in the S-25 engine book. and when you were going full throttle then, the engine didnt have as much power as it could when it is around the 8th or 9th tank. anyone else know what he could have done? i know it should have hurt the engine though. even hitting full throttle for like 5 seconds. i was keeping my savage under 10 mph when i was on the 8th tank. when i got near 15 i was getting around full speed. and now i do go full speed. but im on my 2nd engine also. its got more power. i mean while im on 1/4th throttle, my truck is doing like 15 mph.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:32 AM
lowseylos

its ok to punch it now and then wile break ...in also if you aint up to 200 digreese you aint breakin it in properly go to this web site www.rbproudcts.com and do a search for break in you are gonna need a small temp gun for a proper break in you can also go to www.monstermaxx.com and search there

good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 09:52 AM
8000ft

idle screw needs to be turned in a bit to maintain the idle.
you have not screwed up your engine. running it in bursts (after the first 2 tanks) will help to seat every thing correctly. you could sit there and idle it through 15 tanks, but it still wouldn't be broken in. unless you plan on just starting it up and stairing at it in your front yard.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 AM
ct4s

Hi, thanks for all the input, yeah my neighbor has been doing r/c for 30 years and said it's ready to rock, because i did 2 tanks at idle yesterday and that took about 4 hours or so and he said it's fine to go ahead and run this sucker and mess with the tuning to get it right (some say don't mess with tuning when putting around) It took like 3 and a half turns lean to get it going fast, it would bog down otherwise, is this to lean? Because it bogs down if it isn't that lean. Keep updating me with info i'm brand new to the hobby and wanna know all the stuff like break ins from different people and if they ran it fairly hard after idling 2 tanks, all about tuning, andother useful info, thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
ct4s

Should there be smoke coming out during low speed? I've put the low speed needle richer (a little at a time) to try and get smoke to come out because i'm under the impression it's healthy for the engine, but when i go slow it doesn't wanna put smoke out, is this normal and should i lean it back up? also how much smoke should come out of the muffler at full throttle? Its putting out a bit, i could lean it a little and still notice the smoke or should it be more smokey than hardly noticable? Or anyone got a vid, would be easy to see than explain that i guess lol.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
ct4s

Oh and also the gas seems a little sticky is this normal? somewhere between 8 and 10 tanks in it now (I lost track at 4 lol)
Old 03-25-2004, 08:14 PM
vizaracer

thats good it isnt damaged. ive heard from alot of people, including at the lhs that that could hurt the engine. its good it cant. you may have your batteries going dead now for it to be sticky. is it when its driving or when you turn it by hand?? if its like it when your driving, its your batteries possibly unless your idle screw isnt set right. that could do it also.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM
ct4s

Yeah I had the feeling the batteries were dying because it didn't seem to be responding the same, batteries last about 10 tanks of gas? that's about what i'm at and put new batteries in it when i first started it up i guess that's decent but also seems kinda quick for them to be dying.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:10 AM
vizaracer

my batteries last like 5 tanks when i was using the standard pack. i also had reverse. now i have a hump pack and it lasts forever.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:01 PM
GotSavage?

ct4s there is only one thing that you need to know about breaking in the engine READ THE MANUAL. The manufacturer is the one that desinged and built the engine and they are the only ones who know what the engine needs for break-in. I know is hard to sit down and read the manual and go through all of the tanks a break-in requires when all you want to do is drive it but it is worth it in the end.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
ThermalRD

I hate to jump in hear and dissappoint some people, but the topic of breakin is VERY opinionated. While years ago many people would swear by a breakin that consisted of several tanks of idle, and low speed passes, things have changed a bit. You can ask around and you'll find people that swear by that breakin, with extremely low temps. I've talked to a few people that were into metallurgy, they have told me that the motors need to reach 210-220 before the aluminum will expand. Now you can find some pros doing the WOT breakin. Yes, i said WIDE OPEN THROTTLE breakin. That is one process i will not try. My point is that many people have various different breakin procedures. A few years ago i started the WARM breakin procedure i mentioned already. I basically start the motor, tune it to run rich, and run lazy 8's, and quick blips of the throttle. At the same time i have the rich settings, i try to achieve 190-220. Wrap the head if you have to. Every motor i have broken in like that have run better, longer, and more reliable than all the motors i did at 130-170. Like i said, its very opinionated.

Matt