Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:12 PM
R/C Dragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help

Hi there I have been in the hobby for 7 years with cars and trucks and I am looking at Electric helicopters because I only have worked with electric. My question is how long are the run times and how do you now when its dying so you dont come crashing down. And how much would an electric cost. I already have a charger and a 4 ch controler for one of my trucks
Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Super-Hornet

Default RE: Newbie help

Hi R/C Dragon

The flight time for Electric Helicopter (Mini or Micro) varies a lot. Some uses 3Cells (or 12.6V) while others uses 2Cells (or 8.4V). Some uses NiMH instead of Li-Poly or Li-Ion. The flight time also varies with your weight of your chopper also. So, it is very difficult to tell u the exact flight. I can loosely say it varies in a few minutes to 30Minutes or more.

As for when can u tell whether battery running flat... When u feel that your chopper starting to loose its lifting power (some even goes fluctuation), then u know it is going to go flat. That is time for u to land and change battery.

If you are first time stepping into electric heli (or any heli in that manner), if u still want to use your 4 Ch, maybe u can try go to any of these (not in any particular order):
1 - Hummingbird (version II?)
2 - GWS Dragonfly (Either 2003 or 2004 Series)
3 - FEDA Dragonfly
4 - Aerohawk (WARNING... I think some experience more problem in this chopper)
5 - BTT Cupid (BTT... I think stand for Best Team Technology Ltd) Not many ppl get this so no comment on this
6 - Bumble Bee (New one I saw in LHS. Look like Aerohawk clone)

If you ask me to choose which from the above, I would say go for Dragonfly (possible, go for 2004) or Hummingbird.

Note.. the above is only a Fixed Pitch...That means u can't fly invert direction. To go Invert flying, u need Collective Pitch (Or CP in short). In order to go CP, u need at least 5Ch. If u interested in CP, there is another list of selection.

Super-Hornet
Old 03-29-2004, 12:16 AM
R/C Dragon

Thanks for the info, who makes the Hummingbird? and do you know the runtime on that and the dragonfly??
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Super-Hornet

Hummingbird is by Century
www.century.com

I do not know the flight time for Hummingbird. I have GWS Dragonfly and if I remember correctly (I already mod my chopper too many things), my stock (That is EM150 motor with 7Cell NiMH of 750mAH) heli configuration at that time the flight time is around 3 Minutes?

My current configuration chopper is way too heavy as compare to those in this forum (HA2025-4200 = 66g, 3Cell Li-Poly 1500mAH = 98g, GY240 = 48g?, Uncut Stock Blades) and my flight time is around 10 Minutes (Pure Hover record... Heard that if u do Fast Foward Flight more than Hover, your flight time is higher than pure hover because it takes lesser power to do so).

Super-Hornet