Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Big Stik CG and engine mount

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Big Stik CG and engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:34 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Stik CG and engine mount

I have just put my Great Planes Big Stik (.40 size) on the CG stand, it is modified to be a tail-dragger and has a heavy Rossi R45 motor to pull is along. I have the battery and radio as far back as possible (just in front of the servo mount) and am still finding myself about 1"+ too forward of the recommended CG (3-3/4" from leading edge). Way nose heavy. The engine is mounted with the recommended distance of firewall to prop thrust washer of 4-3/4". I could move the engine back about 1/2" which should improve CG matters a fair bit before adding ballast. Is there something magical about the 4-3/4" spacing to the thrust-washer or would this engine move be ok?
Obviously if I have to add lead weight ballast is it common to cut a hatch in the tail somewhere to install, any better ideas on getting lead back there? As it stands now (without the engine move) I need 3 oz of lead on the elevator to make it balence! So, some ballast will be needed even with the engine moved back somewhat.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:39 PM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Stik CG and engine mount

My Big Stik 60 was the same way. I put it on the CG machine and the nosed dropped like it had an anchor tied to it. I moved the engine as far back as it would go and still had to add lead to the tail. It flew great eevn with the extra weight. I painted the flat lead weights red to match the covering and epoxied them to the fuse just under the elevator stab on each side. Looked ok. I hate to add dead weight but in this case no other option.

WCB