Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

27mhz AM or 40mhz AM/FM

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
chr15b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27mhz AM or 40mhz AM/FM

I'm new to R/c cars and recently got my 1st Nitro car, the controller that came with it is pretty basic (and a bit cheap to look at too) so i'm looking for a replacement, my intention is to get a real decent one that i can move from car to car..

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money but do realize if i want quality and features i'm not going to be able to do it on the cheap.

It needs to be easy to get in the UK and i'd prefer to buy a kit that includes Servo's and receiver etc..

I'm unsure what i need to go for so need some advice, i was looking at some Acoms kit but was put off by a friend who said i should be looking at Futaba kit.. i looked at their site and most of the kit appears to be aimed at planes / Helli's, i do know i do not like the 'trigger' style controllers. From what i have read 40mhz FM appears to be better at distance.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 PM
tgene74

Default RE: 27mhz AM or 40mhz AM/FM

a xs3 from www.rcsquare.com is good and cheap...i prefer the 75 mhz...u have 30 channels that way
Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
QUEERBOX

Hi chris- i dont know if you have bought your new radio yet, but i recently purchased a futaba 2PL and find it a good compromise between cost/features.
this radio is a wheel transmitter-which i also had a few problems with at first , but after a while it became second nature-possibly even better than sticks as the wheel allows very small movements ie small directional changes down the straight.
the radio i bought is 27am-with which i have had no problems with at all-i have been using rc systems for 25 years and have NEVER had any interference problems that i have not found to be caused by the setup itself(scuffed wiring-shot suppressors etc).
After having said that though i do use 40fm for a couple of my quicker 1/8 circuit cars-but only because they are so rapid that even if i experienced any minor glitches i could SERIOUSLY injure either myself or an inocent spectator.
the 2pl is about 60-70 quid here in blighty- but look on some US sites-i purchased mine for 45 inc postage.
the transmitter has 10 memories-which obviously means you can use it in ten vehicles or have different settings for the same one.-
It allows servo travel adjustment(usefull),dual rate on the steering channel(usefull)has digital trims-and ABS among its features-basically all you are ever likely to need.
Best of all though----even a complete idiot can set it up.
the price included two servos (3003) which are basic but reliable and a lovely small reciever.
I think you should take a look at the radio at your local shop-then try to beat them down on the price.
I have owned far more expensive systems-with loads of features(most of which are just gimmicks) but i am happy to use this one-it has all i require-and it left some money in my pocket.
hope this is of use
Old 04-06-2004, 03:33 PM
samcim

what are the futaba 3003's like? and what type of rc buggy's can u use them in?

cheers
Old 04-06-2004, 04:05 PM
studysession

ORIGINAL: tgene74

a xs3 from www.rcsquare.com is good and cheap...i prefer the 75 mhz...u have 30 channels that way

Please pay attention to where people are - He is in the UK and you are in the US. 75MHz is not legal here just as 40MHz is not legal in the US.

Go for the 40MHz, it will give you more range and more channels to choose from. I recently ordered the Futaba 3pk 40MHz PCM from a shop in Hong Kong. Can't wait till it arrives.

Just to let you know, RIPMAX has been the importer for Futaba to here in the UK and now have been bought out by Irvine. Irvine will not be importing Futaba for now and maybe not at all later. They are pushing Sanwa and Hitec radios. I prefer Futaba, that is why I ordered one from Hong Kong.