Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 110

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 07:04 AM
bobswika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 110

Hello,
I am putting together a Goldberg 30% Ultimate. I want to put the BME 110 in it. Most seem to say this is fine but one or two have told me that it will rip the plane apart. I do not see how this would not work being that it is so light as long as you fly appropriatly, ex. no full speed power dives. I have read here about several people flying them in 23-24lb planes with sucess. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Icebird

Default RE: BME 110

I would have to agree with those that say the engine will rip the plane apart! I have my 110 in a H9 33% Cap, and it's rediculous! My all up weight is about 24.5 pounds, and the plane will go out of sight vertically at well under half throttle. I never thought I would say that I have too much power, and I'm not going to now, but I certainly will say that I need more airplane to hold this motor! We're at 3500 feet, and still the power is well into what I would call the "stupid" range. On a 30% plane it would be absolutely uncontrollable. High speed dives? You'd be able to go too fast in the vertical!

Jim
Old 04-13-2004, 06:42 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Bob,
I think you should just box that 110X up and ship it to me. In return I'll ship to you a good running, used zdz80rv with 2 headers and a JMB can.
I am assebling a 2.6m CompositeARF Extra with a 110X in the nose. Hoping for AOW in the 23 lbs area, should be pretty stupid. Maybe I'll just run the engine in, in this plane, then get a 3.0m for the 110X!
DKjens
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

uh. . hmmm. . I think the 110, even on standard mufflers, would be a WEEE bit much for that airframe without some serious beefing of the wing joints, cabanes, and interplane struts. Running a 3-blade would help a lot with that combination, because of the thrust loss, and I'd highly advise it if you go that direction.

DkJens. . be advised . . .the 110 on the 3.0M Composite-Arf will work, but MAN it gets noisey. I just took my 110 off my "heavy" (36 lbs DRY) 40% CA330, not because it would not pull it, but because I was on the gas enough that it was REALLY loud, and I have to fly IMAC with this plane (94 dB limit and NO ripping allowed) I recommend the MEjzlik 28-10 for best pulling power in that combination, and keep it as LIGHT as possible, single elevator servos, only 3 rudder servos, and 2 servos per wing. Anything over 34 lbs is gonna require lots of upper throttle range to fly well, though it will definitely do it.

On the other hand, my 29 lbs 40% is a DREAM to fly, no matter what prop I use, and the 29-10 Biela makes a great Pattern prop for this plane while the 28-10 Mejzlik or Menz work really well for 3D. Come to think of it, I've never used a 26 or 27" prop on any of my Xtreme's. Just seems right to start off with the 28" props.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 AM
bobswika

The plan is to put the standard mufflers on it with a 3-blade prop. I realize that all the power will be overkill but it will also go nicley into a larger plane in the future. Can you suggest the best size/pitch for the 3-blade prop and maybe a good source to order from. Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

KRIS,, 29 pound 40% airplane,,,,, how did you get it at that weight.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Well. . really it was only 28.25, till I added two elevator servos for 3D flying and an Emcotec Powerbox.

Given that other examples of the BME110/Composite-arf 40% Extra are coming in around 34-36 lbs (Kind of amazing how those guys with HEAVY 150's come in at 33, isn't it?) the only answer is tha airframe is lighter than "normal"

Composite-Arf laid me up a lightened airframe, that came in a full 5 lbs lighter than normal, at 16.5-17 lbs with LG and hardware. The BME/exhaust, radio gear and batteries add another 10 lbs, and the paint/graphics add 1.5 lbs.

Remember these numbers. . . A BME110 with Canister style exhaust and ignition, is about 6.3 lbs total weight, about 4.75 with stock exhaust and ignition. A DA150 with Mufflers and ignition is about 9.5 lbs, and the props have a 3-5 ounce weight difference between the two engines. Realistically, the DA150 combintaion will ALWAYS weigh at least 3.5 lbs more than a BME110, even if the BME has canisters, and will be 5 lbs heavier if you use stock exhaust on the BME.

I just proved this by swapping a 3W 150 over onto my heavier plane, and removing the BME. . they used the same canisters. All else being equal, since I did not add/remove ballast weight, but just shifted radio gear and batteries around, the plane should now be 4 lbs heavier. Amazingly enough, it IS 4 lbs heavier, at 40 lbs even. A DA150 weighs 12 ounces more than the 3W150, too.

When they tell you that one of these planes wil come it at 35 lbs with a 150, do you REALLY believe it? Not unless you do some serious removal of extra materials and resin from the airframe to get it down to 16-17 lbs before you add hardware.

My "Heavy" plane, bare, was 21.5 lbs fresh out of the crate. . the Light one was 16.5. There's your weight difference.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:48 AM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

What rpm are you guys getting from the bme 110??
Mine is turning 6400 with a BME 26x10 with stock muffler.
It seems a little low for me and I want to compare it
with someone else performance.
Benny