Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help Me Build My Trailer

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help Me Build My Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Me Build My Trailer

I've ordered a custom Wells Cargo trailer for storing and hauling IMAC planes and large scale gliders. Since this is my first trailer, I'm struggling with some of the options. I could use some help. I have on order a 6'x12' single drop axle trailer. Since I plan to leave the planes inside all year, I'm having the interior finished with R11 insulation and white vinyl backed plywood. I'm putting an airconditioner and a heater inside that will run on shore power. Some questions:

1. Since I have 120V in the trailer I want a few outlets. Where should these be located?

2. I figure it would be convenient to have 12V jacks inside to plug chargers into. Where should these be located?

3. I've asked for fluorescent lights. These come as 48", double row fixtures. I'm thinking of placing one at the front and one at the back, but I worry about the rear one getting in the way. Any thoughts on locations?

4. Where should I put the light switches?

5. The interior height is 5'. I think I want two and maybe sometimes three shelves. Originally I spec'd two rows of horizontal "E" track but now I think I want two rows of vertical "E" track per side so that I place the shelves (which I'll build) at any height. Ideas?

Are there any other concerns that I should have? Anything that I definitely want that I've missed here?

Thanks in advance.

-Ben
Old 04-22-2004, 04:53 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Me Build My Trailer

Get me a tv and a john and I'll live in it. Also think about a AC/DC inverter for the fields that don't have A/C. I have plugs for both front and rear. I don't use platforms,. Both my planes on on wall the wings on the other side so I can walk bown the center. Dennis
Old 04-22-2004, 10:14 PM
JMZ
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ben.

Here's how I did mine. I decided to put the AC and DC in the same outlet boxes for simplicity and convenience. AC is #12 wire and DC is #10. As you can see from the pics, there are basically outlets at the four corners of the trailer which allows me to charge everything you see and a few more besides. Each box has it's own fused circuit...no daisy-chaining. The wire channel and outlet boxes came from Mills Fleet Farm, and the DC stuff is from Radio Shack. I also added DC lighting under the shelving. All interior lights run on the onboard 32ah AGM battery with one light switch by the side door. I elected not to put AC lighting in mine. (It lives in my basement...well lit with a 12ft ceiling <G&gt I leave the whole thing plugged into a UPS at home so the planes and heli are always ready to go at a moment's notice!

There are some earlier pics of the trailer here if you're curious about shelf layout, etc.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...trailer/tm.htm

The clearance under the bottom shelf is 36" with about 7" between the two shelves to allow for wing bags, etc. The 79" ceiling height allows for large planes on the upper shelf too if desired. I have another trailer for generic hauling, so this one is set up permanently as an airplane hauler. I most likely won't build anything larger than 40-42% scale, so I elected to go with fixed shelving spaced to accommodate my largest anticipated projects. So far it has worked out great.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73918.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	125395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12385.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	125396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72397.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	125397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38227.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	125398  
Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the way you have a shelf devoted to smaller stuff. That makes good sense. I'm leaning more towards putting the "E" track vertical so I can move the shelves around.

Thanks for the tips.

-Ben