Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Antenna routing question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Antenna routing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 AM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna routing question

Hi all, I need some advise on routing my antenna so I can sleep better.
I'm nearly done with building this one, but I just want to make sure I'm not screwing up the antenna routing.
It is 2 Stroke glow fuel plane.
I would like to keep the antenna in the body of the plane, and the local experts tell me that it would be O.K.
Fine, I have another issue with it.
My antenna is 38" long.
The length of open space inside the plane that I want to work with is 32" long.
I do have an antenna tube 32" long which I like to use.
Now I do know that the antenna cannot be over lapping itself because that would shorten the range.
My Question is: Can I run the antenna back and forth like a repeating "S" shape (like Snake) all the way back over the antenna tube? I plan on using some masking tape every couple of inches or less to keep the antenna fixed to the tube?
In Detail: The antenna exit side of the receiver will point forward, but the antenna will immediately drop down about 2 inches to the bottom of the plane become fixed to the outside of the antenna tube by short pieces of masking tape, run back in a "S" pattern all the way to the very back of the plane.
There may be many other ways of doing it, but I want to know if this way would be O.K.
Would there be any disadvantages. The local experts tell me it would be fine, I want to know what you think?
I also would like to thank R/C universe and you guys for making all this possible. I've had great luck in the past with your comments and advise.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Antenna routing question

My $.02 worth is don't do it that way. depending on the angle of the plane facing the transmitter it could actually act just like doubling up your antennea, which of course will shorten your range. I know where you are going with this, but is hiding the antennea worth crashing your plane?? I always put my antennea installed as straight as I can. On some planes it means that the antennea extends out past the end of the plane, but I know that I'm going to get full range out of it.

My opinion would be to install it straight and out the back of the plane.

hope this helps
Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you want to do will work fine.

I also agree with RCKen and would run it in the tube, out the back of the plane and let it dangel.

Remember, the plane has an expiration date. If you have the antenna tied down, to any extent, the weight of the reciever will break the antenna when that date is reached and may or may not cause damage to the Rx. If it has an unobstructed run through the tube it will just pull out when the expiration date of the plane is reached and you MAY not have to send the Rx in for service, if you properly pad the Rx with foam.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gryphon:

It is against RCu policy to post the same question in more than one forum. Since the post in the Q&A forum has several more answers, I am going to close this one.