Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Elevator/Rudder or Elevator/Aileron controls?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Elevator/Rudder or Elevator/Aileron controls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:06 PM
ChopperCharles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator/Rudder or Elevator/Aileron controls?

I'm converting my old Line Controlled planes to R/C, and I was planning on simply building a larger rudder with a hinged control surface, in addition to the elevators that are already there. However, someone mentioned on the Control Line board that all the planes he converted had aileron and elevator control with a fixed rudder. He didn't elaborate as to why, though.

So basically, I'm curious if I can get away with just building a new rudder. I have no doubt the plane will fly, but how it will fly is another story entirely.

Also, it seems that these line controlled planes are a little nose-heavy. Should I alter the COG at all? How far back from the leading edge of the wing should the balance point be?

Thanks.

Charles.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Rudder control is relatively ineffective if the aircraft has no dihedral. The typical control line aircraft has no dihedral. You'll be VERY dissapointed with turning capability if you don't have ailerons.

The only way you can get away with rudder, and no ailerons is to cut the wing an give it appx 7 deg dihedral. (typical mid-wing CL aircraft. High wing needs less, low wing needs more)

For CG... you will need to balance it at appx 25% MAC (for straight chord wing, that's 1/4 of the distance from LE to TE) After initial flight testing, you may find the CG can be moved back as far as 32% MAC. (just a bit behind the spar of a typical CL model)
Old 05-21-2003, 03:52 PM
ChopperCharles

Well, both of these planes are stunt planes, so I guess I'm looking at ailerons. I'm glad I didn't try it before I knew, otherwise I'd likely have plane pieces by now. Thanks!

Charles.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Shihtzutan

As far as balance point is concerned, I'd start with just forward of the main spar. It's better to err forward rather than aft.