Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Spray paint bleeding under mask

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spray paint bleeding under mask

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray paint bleeding under mask

Hey all,

What do you all use to mask-off areas when spray painting. Typical 'Krylon' outta the can.

I use masking tape, but always seem to get a bit of bleed thru... Ideas for a nice sharp masked line?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Waltaz

After masking, spray it with clear krylon.
Walt
Old 05-21-2003, 08:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

common beige/tan masking tape needs a heavier paint or it does poorly at making clean lines.

Visit an automotive paint supply store (some of the better auto parts stores will also have this) and get the appx 1/4 inch wide fine line masking tape. (example: 3M 6405, Fine line tape, appx $4.90 for 60 yds... LARGE supply for a modeler.) You apply this as the edge definition, then apply common masking tape over it. At any place you have overlapped to make a corner, be sure to press in at the corner of the overlap to seal up the seam.

The method of applying a clear coat, or a light re-coat of the base color works OK... but you can have some roughness of the finish due to what beeds under the tape. The fine lne tape eliminates the extra paint, and thus eliminates some weight too... (Some planes you NEED to prevent adding any unnecesary weight.)
Old 05-21-2003, 08:10 PM
rcalfred

What kind of masking tape? The crepe kind will bleed unless you burnish it down firmly--use a prop to do it. Also, I've always had good luck with 3M Fineline tape from the automotive supply store. They also make a vinyl type that is a Scotch brand and is blue in color. Many suggest that after the tape is down to spray a mist coat of the base color to seal the edges. If the tape bleeds at least it is the base color and not the trim color. Regards.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:07 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, teh regular 'beige' masking tape. It always seesm to bleed slightly under teh tape. i did hear, that the solvents inteh spray paint do eat away at teh adhesive itneh tape, causing it to wick under trhe tape, and in turn, bleeding.

I do burnish the tape down, soe hte 'crepe' has no wrinkles left, but i still get some bleeding.

I have used frisket film in the past (the old airbrush days) but at nearly $10 a sheet, I've opted for easier methods..

thanks all!!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Shihtzutan

Hubber got it right. Also, make sure the first coat isn't a heavy one.