Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

H-9 330S Removable Rudder ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H-9 330S Removable Rudder ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 02:49 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-9 330S Removable Rudder ?

I need to make the rudder removable on my H-9 330 for transport reasons.

I am thinking of grinding the brads off and removing the pins from the Robart hinges, drilling them out to accept a 2/56 size rod and insert the rod from the top of the rudder through the hinges to install and remove. ( can't insert it from the bottom due to the tail wheel bracket) Probably place a "L" bend in the top of the rod and apply a small piece of tape to hold it in during flight. Will have to insert the rod from the bottom first and use it to punch a hole through the top of the rudder for proper alignment.

Has anyone performed this modification on a plane of this size ? Will it work ? any ideas ?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Andy Rigby
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: H-9 330S Removable Rudder ?

Yes it does work. I've used the Kavan large hinges tho with a long rod thro them. Used this on my 33% extra and my new 44% cap 232. You wont have a problem. I put an L bend on the end, and secure it with some tape.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 05-02-2004, 05:56 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You only need a very small diameter pin.
Typically on the Kletts -we used .035 dia.
The large SIG MFG hinges use a larger dia -and are plenty stout for any application
The final atchment was always done by bending the pin to 90 degrees ans turning the end so that a screw would positively lock it in position.
On many planes , we did the same with one elevator -the stab being in one piece, could then slide out of the fuselage - I have built hundreds of this setup.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:51 PM
H. Wayne S

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:39 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I move from Seattle to Phoenix in the fall and the other way in the spring so I like to construct my airplanes so that they completely break down for the trip and can be quickly reassembled.
I am building a Lanier Stradaucher 600 and have constructed the tail as follows:
The fin bolts to the stabilizer from the bottom. The fin/stab assembly bolts to the tail with three screws, two in front and one in the back.
The rudder is built in two pieces, with the separation line at the level of the fuselage top. The bottom part stays with the fuse so I don't have to disassemble the pull-pull lines. The top plugs into the bottom with 1/8 dowels at the rear. The elevator servos are installed on the bottom of the stab. so I don't have to take the linkage apart. Just plug in the servos.
I can take the tail feathers completely apart so that it lies flat. To put it together I just have to plug in the elevator servos, install the fin on the stab with one bolt and install the assembly with three bolts. I don’t have to connect any linkages.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:45 AM
H. Wayne S

Sounds great dirtybird, The 330 is a tad different in that the fin is part of the fuselage, and the rudder counter point is 4" above the fin. The stabs come off with one bolt so no problem there.

Sounds like you got yours down to the fine hairs. Also sounds like you have spent a lot of time and effort getting it right.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I had one of the early H9 extras and know what you mean.
Have you tried hinge pockets on your rudder? A friend built a set of wings for me for the 62" Lazy Ace. He installed hinge pockets so I could take it apart for covering. It works great. Thats a much smaller aircraft, however