Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Landing advice needed..36% Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Landing advice needed..36% Extra

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing advice needed..36% Extra

I am having a bit of trouble with this plane...Mainly figuring out a landing routine/setup. Broke too many landing gear and props (one Majlick and one Air Models...)

Today, I was coming in slow, and I guess a little too slow, and the plane dropped a bit, hard hit and delaminated the CF gear, and took out my prop...Darn paved runway....

Any advice??..
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Landing advice needed..36% Extra

Perhaps you are trying to idle the motor at too low rpm. Add a few clicks of throttle trim and hold the nose of the plane high on landing approach by holding back tension on the elevator stick.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Obviously you have a hard time judging the planes speed and/or when it stops developing enough lift to stay airborne. Practice your landings by doing touch and goes at a few feet over the runway. Come in on your normal pattern, if the plane ends up nose high to maintain altitude you are to slow, come in again with one or two clicks more throttle. When your plane reached the attitude of a three wheel landing at the numbers or a bit after, you are ready to put her on the runway. If you are flying a pig of an airplane, whether it's pig tail heavy or pig heavy or both, well, if it's both, the plane is doomed he he, but if either, different approaches may be needed.
DKjens
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

what works for me is on my downwind i cut to 1/4 throttle and then on my base i cut a little more on my turn to final i cut to idle then level it out and add 3 or 4 clicks of throttle and let it settle in to about four feet over the runway and just before i am at the point i want it to touch down i cut to idle and hold a little back pressure on the stick to keep it a little nose high,this bleads off speed in a hurry and it will set down in the same angle but do not just release all back pressue or it will nose down and brake a prop every time good luck and don't give up just buy cheaper props and good aluminun gear till you get it down
Old 05-05-2004, 04:28 AM
blindfly

dkjens's approach is definatly the best way to get to know your plane's final approach and landing behaviors.

to add to that, if you have a long enough runway, you can start by making a bit faster approaches by keeping the nose a bit lower the you used to, and once low enough, just about the hight of the ground effect (one half of your wingspan), pull back on the elev. to get the nose into right position for a 3 wheel landing. you will be surprised how fast the plane will lose speed at that angel.

the big plus in this: you loose speed close to the ground, so if you get too slow - you're okay.
the big minus: too much elevator can get you stalled 3 ft. high.

once again, nothing like practice, there's no shame in taking the plane for a rounf of touch and goes to get it right,
this what makes a pro!

good luck
Old 05-05-2004, 04:57 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Ok..I will try. Gonna run a wood prop for a while,lol...This plane just does it all in the air for me no problem, but get it near the ground, and im having trouble...the speed is hard to judge, and even is hard to tell how far away it is (so big,lol)

Our runway is paved 100' x 500' long, so theres plenty of room. I may join another local club with a nice grass runway...easier on props.

Stalled 3' high is what happened yesterday...aarrgghh,lol...at least it didnt snap, just dropped a bit.

I may make a "landing" mode (Evo9 radio) so when a switch is flipped, the idle will only go so low (not so slow as to let the plane stall) , and I can set lower rated for more accurate control, and maybe experiment with spoilerons too...

I also may let it sit for a while and get more skill from my new WH Extra 300..smaller, but basically the same plane...
Old 05-05-2004, 07:19 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to land it like a fun fly. Try landing with a little speed. The bigger planes may alarm you as going to fast since they get so big in your field of view so fast, but don't be afraid to land it two point and let it coast off some speed on that paved runway. You have it so why not use it?

Also if you set your CG to the tail heavy side as you slow down the plane's tail will naturally try to sink first and cause the plane to balloon at the worst possible time. It's not so intuitive, but in that case you need to hold in down elevator to keep the tail up if you insist on landing slow. HTH
RickP