Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

28% Extra and MOKI 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28% Extra and MOKI 2.1

I was just wondering if a MOKI 2.1 will fly a 28% WH Extra. Yes I know it is glow but it is all I got. Will it pull the plane around the sky well?
Bruce
Old 05-03-2004, 03:51 AM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: 28% Extra and MOKI 2.1

This plane will come in at around 16-18 pounds . Ive seen the moki in a DP Extra and it was awesome so it will fly it ok. But since this plane was made for engines that are a little more than ok, meaning engines like the DA 50R are pulling close to 33 pounds of thrust with 22 and 24 inch props. I believe that as powerful as that engine may be it will not come close to the performance of one of theses gassers.

Also this plane flys so well, once you get comfortable with it (which will only take about 2-3 flights) you will want to play around with the 3D maneuvers close and low. You might not feel that comfortable at that point with a satisfactory engine.

Do yourself the biggest favor and start off the right way with what is recommended for the plane. Don't cut corners in the begining
because youll be kicking yourself in the end.

I had a ZDZ 40 (which is a 2.4) on mine at first because that was also what I had. But I was blessed in getting a new 50 NG and boy did it ever make an extreme difference. Gaining a few hundred rpms on a gasser makes a world of difference in performance.\

All in all I think if you go to gas, the shear ease of operation and maintenace, as well as the cost saving for fuel. And the reliability of gassers under different weather conditions (never touch my needles again since i set them up the first few tanks). This is why Tom calls this an entry level gasser.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:17 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real answer is "probably OK but cannot say for sure".

With a Moki it will come in very light. You'll need to shove everything to the front to make it balance. Vertical maneuvers will be lackluster but flying on the wing should be great given the light weight.

There are a few other people who have told me they plan to try this, we'll see.

TF
Old 05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

I'm wondering if anyone has tried or going to try a Saito 300 Twin (50cc). I've seen this done on a GP Patty Extra with a Cline regulator. It was pretty impressive. With the weight of both these planes about the same, the 300 twin maybe an alternative to gas.
-JAE
Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 PM
SAL98

Alternative to gas?

Whats the point.

Probaly sounds pretty nice though.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:37 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

The point...Some folks want a bigger plane, but they aren't ready for, or don't want a gas engine. Another point would be to keep it light. Another is for experimentation. Belonging to the AMA is more than just insurance, it's also about designing and flying new kinds of aircraft and experimenting with different types of propulsion. Look at the guy who put a Wren Turbo Prop on a GP Patty Extra. (Surprised someone hasn't put one in a Wild Hare yet, these planes are better suited for this type of engine, IMO.) I could go on, but I think you get the point. There's more to the hobby then just flying around or 3D, IMAC, etc. It's what someone else maybe interested in doing in avionics. With out the guys & gals that have experimented with ways of flying, nothing would progress forward. That would make for a dull future in this hobby. Without this type of experimentation we wouldn't have stronger or digital servos, no new engine designs that are lighter, smaller and more powerful. No new radios with computers, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helped to clear up your question. It was actually a good one. Folks seem to lose track that there's more to the RC hobby than meets the eye.
-JAE
Old 05-05-2004, 06:53 AM
SAL98

Hey, I hear what your saying and your totally right. I did'nt even see it that way.

I am for all types of experimenting and trying new things as long as its safe.

Maybe someone will try it and post how it goes.

I would only add that as far as what the edge was originaly built for (be it full scale or 1/4 scale) is aerobatics and extreme aerobatics. Some guys do purchase different type of planes for different reasons, and i guess this is where that experimentation would apply.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:28 AM
dahflyboy1
My Feedback: (34)

Bruce
See you shoulda gone with the Hurricane!! haha I'm just busting your chops buddy.....I'll let you know how it goes this weekend, I'm pumped! Let me know when you get the plane, I want to hear all about it.

Deano
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Dean,
Your killing me. LOL. I will keep you posted please do the same. I still want the hurricane so maybe we can come to an agreement on that also.
Bruce
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Sal:

Absolutely. This is what makes the hobby go 'round. I agree that the WH designs are a good first gasser, 3D machine, etc, etc. But who knows what someone might come up with to put or re-design one a bit. Hope they share with us the mods they do. Oh, speaking of, there's a guy living not far from me that got a all white Edge. He took the canopy off and completely re-built it into a one seat cockpit. Man, it looks sharp. So this type of stuff is already happening.
-JAE