Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Lacquer paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Lacquer paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:19 AM
jfranklin40000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lacquer paint?

I have a gallon of MACLAC A-39 (35 series) Semi-Gloss white lacquer paint and am wondering if it is suitable for painting gas powered remote control airplanes. Will I need to fuel proof it?. I am laying it down over glass (poly-resin). Is this stuff suitable? Has anyone ever used it before? I am spraying it with a gun. Can I detail with\add color over it with automotive lacquers? Any comments\guidance\wisdom will be much appreciated. A buddy of mine gave this to me after I complained about very expensive 6oz Aerogloss bottles and how they were getting me down.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Lacquer paint?

It will probably adhere ok, but as with almost all single part paints, and ALL laquers (as far as I know) it will NOT be fuel proof at all. You may have a very difficult time getting a clear to work over it as well without reaction. I don't like mixing and matching paints really, I use the manufactures complete system to avoid any problems. I think some of the clear acrylic laquers are fuel proof and would work over that, but I'm not totally sure. My personal opinion would be don't use it, or if you feel you really want to, put some on some scrap first and do some tests for compatibility first.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you start painting, find a local automotive paint supplier. Many paints are no longer available in California due to proposition 65. I think lacquers are prohibited. Even different Air Quality Managements Districts in CA have different rules.

I suspect you will find that using a two part automotive finish is what you want to do. Don't start with lacquer and then find out you can not buy anything compatitable with what is already on the plane. The last time I did see lacquer it was over $125 a gallon.

You might let us know what you find out.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lacquer is fine for gas. It is NOT good with glow fuel. I painted my Composite-ARF Extra 2.6M with lacquer. The other day I spilled a bunch of gas on the wheel pant when fueling. It's still as shiney and brilliant as before the spill. Lacquer is fine.

-Ben
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use lacquer paint for the base color, it sprays great, without orange peel and it dries very fast, but you must use the correct lacquer thinner for it and it "MUST" be clear coated to be fuelproof, if you are not ready to clear coat every inch of your model, don't bother using lacquer paint, it is a very light paint, and very easy to spray, no runs, and it would dry in a heart beat, sands beautifully, and the best finishes are acquired by using this kind of paint, which is illegal in most states (ozone thing). Sorry, wish I had better news.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

If it is an ACRYLIC LACQUER, you MAY be ok. If you want to use it, I would recommend doing a test panel and then putting some raw fuel on it.

One alternative you should consider is latex paint followed by a water base polyurethane clearcoat. Fuel resistant to 10% nitro (or more). It is a lightweight finish, can be obtained in EXACT color match, and is only about $9 - $10 a quart.

MANY, BUT NOT ALL, AUTOMOTIVE acrylic lacquers are glo fuel resistant to at least 10%. Here in Connecticut, you can still buy acrylic lacquer (and regular lacquer) in the spray cans at Wallyworld and other places.

The 2 part automotive finishes are very nice, but VERY HEAVY.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Campy is right, Acrylic Laquer is fuel proof. But he is wrong about the percentage, it is fuel proof to about 20% nitro. I use 25% nitro without any problems, that is because I am carefull about spilling it and the exhaust no longher has nitro in it. It is my favorite model paint. Fill's out faster the butyrate dope, just as fuel proof, and dries quicker than any other fuel proof paint.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Ditto , I have used automotive acrylic lacquer on my planes for several years with good results.
It's fast drying , lightweight , and I've never had a problem with fuel up to 20% nitro. You need to
prepare the surface as smooth as possible because lacquers do not fill imperfections as enamels do
so every blemish will show through the final finish. One nice thing is you have an almost unlimited
assortment of colors available.

tommy s

By the way , you can clearcoat with clear acrylic lacquer or polyurethane . The poly takes a little
longer to dry but is a tougher finish.