Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Poly Glue on Firewalls etc

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Poly Glue on Firewalls etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:23 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poly Glue on Firewalls etc

has anyone tried to use probond on things like firewalls on wood planes. What about stabs and fins on kits and arfs? I would think it would work pretty good on gluing a stab in. wet the fuse, apply the glue to the stab and slide in, work it back and forth, and keep wiping as it expands???
What about when joining wings on the dihedral brace? If the spar socket is fairly tight, it seems as if this would be perfect for probond

what y'all think?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
FlyNBHappy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poly Glue on Firewalls etc

I use probond on every locations that you mentioned. It works great and since it "expands" as it dries, it will fill in any gaps that may be present. Just make sure the pieces are properly pinned or clamped together or they will move on you as it dries through expansion.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:21 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I've used the ProBond on formers and firewalls, but since the glue expands to much at times, I've gone back to using epoxy. I went ahead and purchased a good epoxy gun and use the 50ml cartridges. Makes for applying the epoxy easy and straight forward. Plus the drying time is much quicker then the ProBond.

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-13-2004, 10:46 AM
narpets

As no2nitro mentioned I've used this glue just about everywhere. To help it not spread the parts and fill in all the little crevesas when cureing, I use a lot of tape. Helps contain the glue, and when it does expand it goes into the nooks and cranies...

Some pics (last 3 on the bottom) here of the process of joing 2 fuse halfs. I use this technique just about everwhere.
http://gallery.gparcs.net/album42?&page=2
Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM
JeffH

Sounds good. The firewall will obvisouly be clamped 3 ways from sunday. I clamp all critical joints regardless of glue used. I was thinking that since the stab fits into a slot that doesn't flex, combine that with some tape and clamps, it could be alot less messy than epoxy since it cleans up with water while it is still wet, correct?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:22 PM
narpets

Yes it cleans up with water just fine....before it cures... BUT be sure to bet it ALL. As water also makes it foam more

As I do with epoxy, I mask around a joint That is a strip of tape on each side just like when painting a window

With the Poly I add another strip of tape on top... Super clean joint. See the pics in the link on my previous post if you haven't already. That is right after I took off the tape... No sanding or other clean up
Old 05-13-2004, 01:33 PM
JeffH

I did look, and I do the tape thing as well. Sounds like I will give the Polyu a try
thanks for the pics and the time