Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Mounting rx and batt; suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Mounting rx and batt; suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:18 PM
DLSmith2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting rx and batt; suggestions?

Howdy!

I'm in the middle of finishing a Funtana ARF, and noticed in the directions when installing the rx and batt, you move them to adjust CG. I understand that part, but it shows a picture of the rx and batt sitting on the balsa in the fuse (fuse is upside down) and gives no suggestion as to how to secure the padded rx and batt to the balsa. Velcro? Epoxy something in to hold it in place? It seems too critical an issue to pad the parts and leave them laying there, so I know I'm missing something.

Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-09-2004, 07:51 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Mounting rx and batt; suggestions?

typically I stuff in sponge foam to pack the RX and pattery into place.

Caution about placing the foam... you don't want it to interfere with any pushrods.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrange the parts to get the c.g.
Then with the foam around them, place straps thru/"underneath" the servo tray area to hold the parts where needed.
The usual nylon straps, or strong thread will hold the rcvr and battery.
Preventing fore-and-motion is most important.
Tight but not too tight.
If you expect to need access to the receiver plug-ins, allow for that access before firming up the placement.
As the battery is the most likely object to break free (usually during a landing) tie it down very firmly.
Any extension harnesses should have the mating ends secured against seperation in flight.
The paper-covered package wrap wire used on vegetables works well.. It's secure and easily removed when that's needed.
An interesting "Murphy" surfaced recently here.. a pattern plane with lots of flight time began acting strangely in flight. The rudder was doing its own thing. The flier got it down, and it was discovered the CF plate used for the servo tray had scraped some ot the insulation off the power wires to the rudder servo. CF being conductive permitted an intermittent short in the rudder system.
Watch for corners etc. that can do this.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What Paul said...

I sometimes use double sided foam tape too. Apply a couple of coats of wood sealer at the location of the component, sand smooth, and stick your stuff into place. Make sure it's right the first time though... because this stuff sticks like hell...

Side note to the worn servo leads... If you have screws sticking out the bottom of your radio tray, push a piece of scrap balsa over them, and tack in place with CA... these pointy screws are dangerous too... and the fix is easy enough...
Old 05-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Tall Paul

I double the ply on servo trays to keep the screw points in wood.
Lite ply pads are all that's needed and it gives more meat for the screw to grab.
The hex-head servo screws available from "Micro Fasteners" are far superior to the cross-head screws that come with the equipment, especially as the hex-head grabs the tool end, making them much easier to place in the servo grommets.
Wood sealer or a smear of CA to give the adhesive on the Velcroâ„¢/foam tape a better grip on the porous wood is a good idea also.
Some of my servos on gliders and electrics are glued in place, as vibration isn't a major problem.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:09 PM
DLSmith2

Thanks to all for the ideas! Never thought of nylon straps; I think I have some in my old parachute rigger kit that will work perfectly with some self-adhesive velcro. I'll wrap with foam, secure that with 2" bidi tape, and put the velcro on the tape and laquered wood and secure it all with a nylon strap.

WOOO HOOO!!! I'm almost there! I haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate my baby brother!

Blue skies,

DL

To all animal activists: no hogs were harmed during the eating of my baby brother... [X(]
Old 05-10-2004, 12:23 AM
FHHuber
Banned

moregood things to watch for...

the possibility of a connection getting bound up in the servo arms. If the connection in the aileron extention wire gets into the servo arms... it can lock up the controls.

also.. tape the battery to switch connection. You want NO possibility of that one comming loose in flight.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:46 AM
KW_Counter

Wrap the battery in foam and then tape, duct or masking, then attach a piece of velcro to the tape and to the plane.
This keeps the battery from moving around yet is still removable. The bigger the pieces of velcro the better it will hold.

I have also reinforced the place for the battery and receiver placement, put in eye screws and used criss crossed rubber bands.
The combination is good security. The receiver does not need to be as secure as it weighs less and is less likely to move around.

KW_Counter
Old 05-12-2004, 01:34 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

As you can see my battery is stick between a bulk head and the wing hold down. The RX is foam wrapped and held down with a scrape of pushrod. One end has a Z bend in a hole. The other I made a loop in and put a screw through the hole. It's a quick and easy way. I also like to use Zip ties. They just wern't the best for this application.

david
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13551.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	131645  
Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Tall Paul

There's a billion ways to do it, yours is as good as any.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:19 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Two Double sided Velcro straps 90 degrees to one another for both receiver and battery. Be sure to put a piece of foam between mounting plate and the receiver and battery.

Or:

Use small cup hooks and #64 rubber bands.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would install a couple of sticks to secure it to or just install a block of foam to hold everything in place.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:21 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

I get my wife to buy me some 2"wide black velcro in five foot rolls at her dress shop. It is the non-adhesive type. I USE too epoxy it to the airplane structure. I have had this pull loose in hi-G maneuvers so now IF I can't find a piece of the plane structure that is plywood and use wood screws to fasten too. I make-up some hard wood strips that I screw too with small washers. Try to use "pan-head wood screws! Then I epoxy this to the sides of the balsa fuselage. I make the velcro long enough to hold down the foam warped "stuff" and when I put the wing on I can use the end part of the velcro to hold down the loose wing wires.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
KW_Counter

MX240,
I think you can find the same velcro stuff at Home Depot, which means Lowes would probably have it also.
Good stuff!
KW_Counter
Old 05-17-2004, 12:07 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

As you can see my battery is stick between a bulk head and the wing hold down. The RX is foam wrapped and held down with a scrape of pushrod. One end has a Z bend in a hole. The other I made a loop in and put a screw through the hole. It's a quick and easy way. I also like to use Zip ties. They just wern't the best for this application.

david
Dave, you might want to separate the antenna and servo leads. It's good practice even though you may not have noticible problems.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:23 PM
kdheath

I glue a small balsa block on each side of the fuselage and slide a strip of scrap balsa under the blocks (so it runs across the fuselage) and that holds the foam-wrapped battery/rx down.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:43 PM
TNRabbit

Speaking of antenna leads, I secure mine around all the servo leads/battery wires by epoxying a row of those little rubber servo grommets along the side of the fuse, then I put a grommet in the hole leading out of the fuse. Keeps vibration from making a hole in the antenna wire covering.