Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

First on road off road

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First on road off road

Tonight I took the risk and took my touring Tamiya XGB Impreza to do what the Impreza is famous for; rallying. Dirt tracks around a local hilly field, steep climbs, downhills, bumpy ground, the lot except wet ground (avioided since the XGB is intended solely for on-road use in the dry). The 4WD system handled loose dirt well, the 2.1cc engine gave the lightweight car enough power to climb the steepest hills and the radial tyres gripped remarkably well. It was great fun!
Putting my car onto the bench to be cleaned brought a whole new meaning to the task. The body alone was covered with a thick layer of dust and a tiny amount of nitro oil around the exhaust (thanks to my exhaust exit mod which seems to be working well). The actual chassis, engine etc. had several mm of dirt on it and the air filter looked like someone had spilt cocoa powder all over it. After a good blast with some cleaner it was looking like new again. A great experience I intend to repeat. There is a formiddable looking 80yd long 40 degree dry dirt embankment near where I live that I must try to get my car up next time (was a bit too far for my first off-road run, wanted to be close to home in case of problems). Of course, a dirt buggy is looking like a likely next purchase!!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Jocke88

Default RE: First on road off road

I feel your pain
I got a landmax 2 and after a good bashing session I spend the next coupple of days cleaning. I find dirt in places I didnt know existed!
Though I must say thats its worth it. My car also has the tendency to cover the side of the car in exhaust oil which really attracts dirt.
Keep up the bashing!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:06 PM
enyaengine

Default RE: First on road off road

I must find out if my suspension is adjustable, at the moment it's catching the ground a bit too much. It's still great fun whacking on full throttle and watching the car dissapear in a cloud of dust and nitro smoke!