Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stripped Clutch Bell

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:18 AM
POKEEE1TSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Clutch Bell

I recently bought a Savage 25...I'm new to the scene. Just replaced my stock spur gear with a metal spur gear. Anyways...I was running my truck pretty hard today, when all of a sudden it wouldn't move. The engine was still running, but when I pressed the throttle, the truck wouldn't move. Found out that all the teeth on the Clutch Bell were worn down. Anybody out there know what I did wrong or how to correct the problem. I would like to get this truck up and running again.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 AM
matster

Default RE: Stripped Clutch Bell

Why did you change the spur?????

Put a plastic spur back in it and set the mesh correctly. The stock spur is plenty strong enough to cope with the power of the .25, providing the mesh is correct. I ran my first stock spur for almost 2 gallons before I stripped it due to a V bad landing.

You may have your mesh set up bad or you may have your spur gear toooooo tight. Tighten it all the way down, then back it off between 1/4 and 1/2 a turn.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:14 AM
oldboy_newtoy

I must agree. By putting in a metal spur, you simply moved an existing problem to the next weakest link. It's a no-win game.

I finally burned out my spur by trying to literally climb curbs too slow. Eventually, it gave out and melted.

Man, that must be one HECK of a spur to shred a Bell.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Polar_Bus

Plastic spurs are great insurance against breakage of mated parts. I t-boned a pipe rail head on and only damage was a bent bumper and a stripped spur gear from the impact. This is a perfect examply of myself being totally against aluminum/steel "bling-bling" upgrades. (just my opinion)
Rich
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
POKEEE1TSK

Thanx for the information. The reason I changed to a metal spur gear cause I stripped the stock ones, and being a newbie to the rc scene, the local rc store recommended I put the metal spur gear. But thanx for your times fellas.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
oldboy_newtoy

Remount the plastic spur, then, adjust the spacing between the spur and the bell with at least a piece of papder between the two when you tighten the engine down.

Best is to use the ol' piece of plastic "parts" bag instead of paper. It makes the tolerances even cleaner.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:11 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
The clutch bell stripped cos the spur gear was i would expect made from hardened steel and the clutch bell is soft metal.
The plastic spur gears are a very good weak link to have i have never had the need to run a metal spur gear and im running a .26" Picco mesh it up correctly and you will be on your way just make sure you dont mesh it too tight as this will melt spur gears you want a little slap about 1/8"(2-3mm) play when holding the clutch bell and moving the spur gear back and forth.

All teh best

T-meker
Old 05-21-2004, 05:20 PM
petrolpixie

just get a hardened steel clutch bell and you will stop killing c/bs.
this happened on my mp 7.5 cos the kyosho c/b are made from cheap soft metal. all i did was change to a hardened steel c/b and i had no more problems after that.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:40 AM
cabbageSS

get the Robinson Racing's hardened spur and bell set. comes in 49/18 and 52/14 ratios. never break another
spur or bell tooth again. hard as diamonds but then... other parts will start breaking... just remember to
slacken the slipper clutch a little.