Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cowled Gasser?? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 08:52 AM
jbflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowled Gasser?? Help!!

I have a Zenoah G-38 that runs great with the cowl off of the airplane. The cowl has plenty of airflow, including a cut out right by the carb, but with the cowl on, the engine will not run,(throttle up) unless the engine is choked, and set very lean. Maybe I need a velocity stack, or extention outside of the cowl. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like you do need a stack extending out side the cowl. You also may need to extend the vent for the carb diaphragm to a nuetral place also.

The intake extension will possibly be a problem outside the cowl also. You will need to cut it at an angle and rotate it until you get the engine to run right. Start by having it facing the wind.

Jim
Old 07-29-2002, 01:48 AM
Flyguy2002-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bjflier,

it sounds exactly like you need the velocity stack. I have used one many time with great success. On my current plane, Ultra Stick with RS Conversions Homelite, I had problems with the velocity stack. It was forcing too much air on the down line. I simply rotated it up approx 45 degrees and it now runs like a scalded dog.

Look the guys at RS Engines up and drop them a note if you have any questions.

http://webpages.charter.net/rsengineconversions/

These guys really know their stuff and they can provide complete motors or conversion/upgrade parts.

Big al