Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird CP Instruction Manual

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingbird CP Instruction Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Tractors4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird CP Instruction Manual

I have never owned or even flew a helicopter but I have been wanting one for yeas. I bought a CP Hummingbird last week. I took it home, installed the radio gear and put a battery in to check the servos and such and went to bed. The next afternoon I took it out to the garage and tried to start learning to fly it. It would get off the ground for anything. I went back in and started double checking my installation. Everything was set up per the Hummingbird manual. The one thing that I did notice was the the collective pitch was not working. Only one servo was moving. I took it back to the hobby shop for them to check it out. I got it back today. The guy at the hobby shop said I had only done one thing wrong and that was that one servo was reversed of what it should be. He said I had set it up perfectly per what the book said, only thing was he said the book was wrong. The gyro was on wrong, even though it was just like in the picture. He had everything corrected and he hovered it for me. I tried it out later during lunch, this thing is gonna be fun.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:32 PM
niccosuave

Default RE: Hummingbird CP Instruction Manual

I bought a used Hummingbird CP from a guy who gave up the same week he purchased it because he couldn't get get it to function correctly. Once I got it home, I looked over the setup and went through the manuel..what I found is that the manuel is completely incorrect. The servos were plugged in according to the manuel, I later discovered that wasn't the proper set up. For example, Aileron goes to Ch 1 per the manuel...actually, the control board goes in ch 1, then ch2 is aileron, ch3 is ele., and so on. Didn't match the instructions at all. This is really dependent on the type of receiver you use, actually.

Then, once I test flown it, it spun wildly out of control. This is indicative of a backwards gyro. But, the setup was done correctly according to the manuel and illustrations (from the previous owner). What I found out once I held the heli over my head and rotated it with slight power on, and noticed the tail rotor would spin with the rotation and not against it. The fix.....turnd the gyro upside down (Completely opposite of what the manuel instructed!). I tell ya' what !!!! I have one nice flying bird now all for under $100 thanks to misleading documantation ! Thanks Century for your screw up...saved me money !

As for any new fliers interested in the Hummingbird CP...throw the manuel out and seek assistance from a knowledgeable heli pilot. I can see the hours , if not days, of frustration a person can go through after purchasing one of these as a novice.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:15 AM
Mr.Tango

Default RE: Hummingbird CP Instruction Manual

I recently bought the Hummingbird CP complete with the receiver and gyro all in one along with a Sanwa transmitter. It turned out that the transmitter did not have the 120 degree CCPM mixing although all channels were as !QUOT!normal!QUOT! eg elevator and aileron on channels 1 and 2 and throttle and rudder on 3 and 4. So when I called the company I ordered the kit through the chap asked if I wanted another Sanwa that did the mixing needed, as I though the Sanwa felt cheap I asked for the JR. So the JR was sent out and all my setup work went out of the window and I could not get my head around what was going on. So in a last ditch effort I put the transmitter crystal from one of my fixed wing models into the new JR and discovered that the channels were all over the place, the aileron was on the throttle and other channels seemed wrong also. So armed with this info and realising that it is the TRANSMITTER and NOT the receiver that defines the channels numbers I worked though and reconnected the receiver to the correct standard for the transmitter. Game on, phew but was I getting pissed with it though Tuesday night, 3 hours of playing with the mixing and what not.

Anyway, after two batteries worth of practice with the correct set up I can now hover for the whole life a one battery, outdoors in the wind, I'm chuffed )

Have fun