Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Homebrew Carbon Fiber Frame for HB CP

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Homebrew Carbon Fiber Frame for HB CP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Coasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homebrew Carbon Fiber Frame for HB CP

Having just bought a Hummingbird Elite, I began to strip down my old verII in order to transfer the parts, but I hit a snag when I went to install the G10 frame...seems the frame for the verII won't fit the Elite, since the Elite is wider and a bit longer.

Determined, I decided to do something other than to spend more money and buy yet another G10, so I made my own and re-used the landing skids off my old frame.

I took 3 layers of Carbon Fiber cloth and laminated them with laminating epoxy - then put the layers between two pieces of window glass and laid about 50 pounds of weight on top in order to compress it. I allowed it to cure overnight - and the next morning I had a nice sheet of material that was "glass smooth" on the sides. From this I cut out the parts for the frame and assembled them with a bit of epoxy.

Seems it's extremly strong. You can squeeze the frame and it's rather like squeezing a brick. Weight isnt bad either - the "all up weight" of the heli came out to just over 300 grams. Gear onboard is a Berg5*DSP receiver, 1200 2C li-polys, CC Phoenix 10 running a Himazz 2015-4100 and Pixie 7 running the GWS DD Tail. Gyro is a CSMHLG200.

It ws a worthwhile project that only tok about 2 ours total - and saved me a few bucks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61999.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	144560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19789.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	144561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45534.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	144562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33812.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	144563  
Old 06-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Coasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homebrew Carbon Fiber Frame for HB CP

Here's the final product with the canopy installed...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29196.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	144564