Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

No Swashplate Technology

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

No Swashplate Technology

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
zeevro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Swashplate Technology

Hey,

I want to build a micro heli w/ out a swashplate but i can't find any informaition about this technology.

Can antone help me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
flyingchaos

Default RE: No Swashplate Technology

Geez...dunno how you'd go about a heli w/o a swashplate and is controllable in all directions.

Perhaps you could use a ball mod that is available for micro swashplates and some how use a tap to keep the ball in place and have the entire main shaft swingable.

This means that you have to have the enitre main motor/gear assembly mounted to one peice that can swivel with the main shaft. The servos would be mounted on the chassis and move the main motor/gear/shaft assembly...

Yikes...keep us informed if you invent a new way of changing the angle of heli blades w/o a swash...
Old 03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
bluesilver30

what's the point?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point is.. to make look more crazy then it need to be.. lol..

Helicopter with out a swashplate... i would suggest build something like the dragonfly... lol.. 4 motor... no swash plate...

I was thiking to build one the other day.. using 10 of the tail rotor i bought for my aerohawk.. hahaha... it sure will lift... but with out battery on board.. lol..
Old 03-02-2004, 03:23 AM
tahustvedt

You can replace the main rotor mast with a thick, hollow pipe and mount a spindle inside it with arms sticking out of the sides where the blades are to control them. That's how our Lynx works. It has no swash plate but instead uses a very simple and brilliant design.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:03 AM
zeevro

Can you post a picture of the system or a graphic explanation?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
zeevro

I have managed develope a semi-rigid rotorhead system w/o a swashplate. I call it MRCS( for Magnetic Rotorhead Control System)
There is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34632.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	107076  
Old 03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
glennT

That's great, sauske! Is the control variable or 2-state? I mean are you varying the magnet strength or justing switching it on and off?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: sauske

Can you post a picture of the system or a graphic explanation?

I made this simple 3D model to explain the concept. It could be made with a lathe if one was dedicated enough. The Green part is the "Spindle". The blue thing at the bottom of the spindle is the "Spindle Bearing" which is the one that the servos move laterally and fore&aft + up/down for collective. The spindle bearing does not rotate, but everything else in the picture does. The spindle bearing would need to have a ball bearing between it and the spindle. The balls on the ends of the arms from the spindle are connected to the blades via pitch-links. The beige part is the bearing for the spindle assembly. It's secured to the spindle and the light blue tube. The light blue tube can slide up and down inside the light green main rotor hub assembly for collective control. This design does not have a shaft or a swash plate.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:34 AM
zeevro

I don't know if it will be variable or "On\Off" I'll have to build a prototype to test the system...
Old 03-03-2004, 05:35 AM
zeevro

Genius design tahustvedt!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Super-Hornet

Cool design!!! it looks logical enough to work.

maybe u need variable magnetic strenght and also sensor to sense the magnet whereabout. Maybe u need to turn on and off the Electromagnetic also because the strenght of electromagnet and magnet may slow or cause fluctuation on the spinning blades due to magnetic pull. Maybe use pushing effect (opposite) instead. With pushing effect, maybe u no need to turn on and off.

Super-Hornet
Old 06-19-2004, 06:00 AM
lastdecember

have any of you seen the pixilito it uses no swash tech but someone bought the licence so he cant show images or explane its workings http://pixelito.reference.be/#pictures i cant belive the size of that thing
Old 06-19-2004, 06:10 AM
lastdecember

ORIGINAL: Super-Hornet

Cool design!!! it looks logical enough to work.

maybe u need variable magnetic strenght and also sensor to sense the magnet whereabout. Maybe u need to turn on and off the Electromagnetic also because the strenght of electromagnet and magnet may slow or cause fluctuation on the spinning blades due to magnetic pull. Maybe use pushing effect (opposite) instead. With pushing effect, maybe u no need to turn on and off.

Super-Hornet
i don't think that the resistance in his design would be any higher than that caused by wind resistance from the linkage on a swash design my even be less is the shapes are contoured my thought on it is if it would be n a large enough scale you could use say 8 electro mag and 2 strengths so you could bring the blade to position more gradually as it rotates that way it would behave more like a swash and neg on opposite sides like
___0____
__1_ -1__
_2____-2_
__1__-1__
___0_____
what i think is cool is that it would be colective as well