Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

2 transmitters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:40 PM
bigchap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 transmitters?

i am in the early stages of having a large model made for me and my thoughts have turned to controlling it,would it be acceptable to have one person doing the flying whilst somebody else is doing the retracting of undercarriage and the other ancilliaries,i.e.landing lights,flaps,cargo doors for the parachutists to come out of!yes really!,what are your thoughts,obviously i would disable the sticks on the second transmitter.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:59 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2 transmitters?

i remember a MAN article a while back that had a russian Big Bear i beleive. it was on the very last page of the magazine, It was monstrous, 12' wing span ( i think, coulv'e been bigger), four engines, huge! They pilot had one radio, and there was a "co-pilot" working all the other functions, such as gear and lights. So yes it can be done without problem. The reason for a co-pilot is to take the workload off of the pilot. lets see some pictures!!

sean
Old 06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
bigchap

you'll have to wait for pictures but i hope it'll be worth waiting for,as far as me and the designer and builder know this aircraft has not been modelled before,i know it sounds silly but the thing i am most looking forward to is seeing the doors opening and the parachutists coming out!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

I think if operating 2 tx you want to be on different channels so you don't get confused. This way each tx and rx can only operate what it is hooked up too.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

That makes a lot of sense. Should be awesome
Old 06-18-2004, 03:03 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

If each person (pilot and co-pilot) is going to have their own transmitter, you would have to run them on separate channels, which I don't see a problem in. If you run them on the same channel, disabling the sticks on the co-pilot's radio doesn't prevent the radio from sending out signals to control those channels.
DKjens
Old 06-18-2004, 03:10 PM
bigchap

sorry,but how does that one work?if i don't touch my throttle it doesn't do anything!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:31 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

bigchap,

The transmitter is telling the servo to stay where it is at. If another transmitter is turned on it may tell the receiver to go full or half.

There are receivers on the market and comming to the market that can recognize the signal from the first transmitter it sees and then locks to it. FMA is selling them now.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:57 AM
bigchap

sorry,but i had my head up my butt when i posted that one!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen this done before with complex airplanes with no problem in operation. I've even seen a simple 4 channel radio (on a separate channel, of course) used with the throttle opening the doors and left aileron dropping one set of parachutes and right aileron dropping a second set of parachutes etc. Only problem with this set-up is if you intend to go to large events they often have time limits that you can hold the pin to keep the flying moving. So, say your primary flight controls are on channel 20 and your aux "stuff" is on channel 21, you go up to the impound and ask for channels 20 and 21 and they give you 20 and say 21 is out and your 3rd in line for it. Well sure as *&^% as soon as you get channel 21 the announcements start "Person holding channel 20, your over your time limit and we need the pin back now".
Old 06-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Stick Jammer

As mentioned, it can be done with two separate frequencies. On the other hand, you should have no problem setting everything up on a single 9 or 10 channel Tx. Most of those extra functions can be assigned to switches. Landing lights can be setup to come on with gear down. I also don't think having someone else operate the flaps would be the best idea. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:47 PM
bigchap

i am worried about workload for the pilot,so i think this is the best way to go seeing as i am going to be putting a lot of money into this project.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:33 PM
smokingcrater

don't quote me on this, but you could probably use ground frequencies for the aux functions. technically the air frequencies specify directional control of a model... this would save you the trouble of having to get another freq pin if the need should ever arise.

another solution would be to get a 9c or 9z series, then set it so the trainer function is on a non-spring toggle switch, and only assign the aux channels to the trainer box, with the main flight controls remaining with the main tx.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:33 AM
bigchap

that sounds like the way i will go,i was thinking about using a trainer lead but then i remembered that the switch returns,i didn't even think about using a normal toggle switch,it's funny how you never think of the easy way to solve a problem and then someone comes along and it all seems so simple after that,but i guess thats what rcu is for,many thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:01 AM
jbflier

I don't think the distance output from a ground Tx (27mhz) is much more than an 1/8 of a mile or less. I'd go with 2 seperate radio sets on different frequencies..........
Old 06-20-2004, 08:40 PM
smokingcrater

I don't think the distance output from a ground Tx (27mhz) is much more than an 1/8 of a mile or less.
doesn't have to be 27mhz, how about a module radio on 75 mhz...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:14 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both transmitters still control functions on a flying airplane, so both MUST be on 72 MHZ.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm not too familiar with selectable trainer functions... I haven't been in the trainer menus in a long time. In my old 8103, you could only assign primary controls to the trainee... not ancilliary functions. I'm sure your radio is much better than that... it sounds liek your best option if you can do it.

If you have 2 TX's, as stated you will have to be an different freq's as mentioned since the radios are ALWAYS transmitting ALL X channels, even if "disabled" (with limited exception in the Royal Evo... but it still doesn't make it usable).

On different freq's you will want to give consideration to standing some distance apart. I believe 20 feet is recommended. The 2 radios and signals will mix and generate side lobe signals on different freq's. If you are on 35 and 33, you will generate signals on 31 and 37 IF you are too close together. Additionally, the radios MAY (not too likely) interfere with each other.

Food for thought.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:11 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I could see having another TX to do stuff like bomb drop or some odd features, But flying the airplane, and running flaps, retracts, brakes, ect.. is very easy to do all from one TX. I dont think this is much load at all...02
Old 06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
bigchap

i am probably underestimating the guy who is going to be doing the flying but i just wanted to make his life easier,and my investment safer!
Old 06-21-2004, 01:54 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand, there are alot of jet guys with over $10,000+++ in the air running the whole machine on thier own, FWIW.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

I think the Royal Evo could easily do what you want on one frequency. The radio out of the box does not control anything, including primary flight functions. You have to enable everything to make it work.