Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

humming bird gyro problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

humming bird gyro problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Detcord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming bird gyro problem

Hi, I picked up one of those little humming birds a couple days ago and my gyro seems to not function correctly... when it gets in the air the copter spins counter clockwise and i cant stop it, so i turn the screw on the gyro clockwise to counter it - it spins faster.... next i turn the screw ALL the way and it still just psins faster, so i turn it ALL the way counter clockwise and it just slows the spin a bit, but doesnt stop it... the only to stop it from spinning is to set the trim on the radio all the way to the right and then hold the stick all the way to the right... do i need to try and exchange the gyro or is there some trick to adjusting this i dont know about?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:42 PM
kagreen2k

Default RE: humming bird gyro problem

I had the exact same problem with the HB v.II (w/ Century Lightning radio). I sent the board back. The new one worked but when I adjusted the trim so that the heli doesn't spin, the tail motor spins with the throttle all the way down. I'm not very happy with the Century Lightning transmitter/receiver/3-in-1 board. I had an extra E_Sky 4-in-1 box; I installed it and it flies beautifully. I've ordered separates and I'm going to sell my Century stuff on eBay. Waste of money! You get what you pay for.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Detcord

so its my mixing board thats doing it? I have a hitec laser 4 radio so its not the radio....
Old 06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
kagreen2k

I had the same problem when I tried my Futaba transmitter as well.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:14 AM
EddieNewYork

Which gyro are you using? Is it the one from Century that came with your heli? If so your gyro maybe upside down. Otherwise look for a reversing switch on your gyro. It's not the gain screw that your adjusting in your post. That is to control your tail from wagging back and fourth.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

yup I bet the gryo is on wrong........make sure its setup rite on the bird. did you have to istall it yourself?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Detcord

its the little white century gyro that comes with it, its on right, the guy at the hs said "make sure the word century is on the left and the c is at the bottom" and my instruction manual says the same thing, and thats the way i mounted it. i guess ineed a new gyro or something?
Old 06-24-2004, 06:49 PM
jaglabs

You do not need a new gyro. If you call them you will see that some gyros where mounted upside down in the case. Make sure the "C" of the century is facing the other way. I had the exact same problem, spent 2 hours on hold and finally talk to a tech that gave me the solution. I promise this will work. If the instructions say it should towards the top, make sure it faces the bottom of the model, if it says the bottom, make sure it faces towards the top.

Joe
Old 06-25-2004, 03:04 AM
Detcord

Alright, flipped the gyro and took it out to try, it still spins, so i adjust all the way to the side and it slows it alot, i can almost get it to stay pointing one direction(with aid of trim all the way and stick all the way to the right), then my battery dies...so i go and charge it and bring it back out and once again it spins uncontrollably reguardless of the adjustment on the gyro.....

My conclusion: helicopters suck, time to return it and buy a flawlessly functioning rc CAR...
Old 06-25-2004, 03:34 AM
tweaksalot

Is it a DD tail motor?
Old 06-25-2004, 04:02 AM
Detcord

hell if i know, it doesnt say anything on it
Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Detcord

alright, got the gyro working, but the damn thing simply doesnt adjust enough to keep my heli from spinning..... i drove a god damned hour and a half to the store i bought it from and they just said "its working fine" and wouldnt test fly it... its possible to get it straight, but i seriously doubt ur spose to fly a helo w/ the stick all the way to the side.....this is ridiculou, is there a heli i can buy that actually works?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:45 PM
EddieNewYork

If you have tried every possible mounting position and still have no luck, try reversing the direction on your transmitter. Open your battery compartment and switch channel 4 to the other side. If that dosen't work, then I'd say buy a new gyro, preferably a head holding gyro like the futaba gy240 and go separates.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:27 PM
irishcarbomb
My Feedback: (4)

i'm having the same problem...going to buy another one, probly a piccolo
Old 06-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Detcord

alright, theres no friggin reason y it should be doing this...the gyro works fine and everything..... anyone have had this happen and figured out how to fix it? or is it pilot error?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:14 AM
austenpowers

1. try reversing the tail motor power lead the tail rotor blade might be spinning the wrong way

2.IV had this problem before and changed the tail motor they don't last long if they get run back wards in to things, there kinda week

put the model on a slippery floor increase the stick very slowly till the tail starts to spin ,at this point you should be able to push the models tail side ways with the ruder stick if you cant then increase all the gyro settings to max if you still cant then you have damaged or faulty parts i cant believe the shop didn't help you more