Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BT-50SA Carburetor Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT-50SA Carburetor Leak?

I now have about 1/2 gallon of the 25:1 fuel run through the engine.

So far, the best I'm getting is about 6300 rpm on a Top Flight 20x10 wood prop. I'm hoping this is just the engine not yet broken in and the 25:1 oil concentration. This performance is woefully short of what I need with my 18.5 lb GP Christen Eagle II. On a good note, the engine now starts very easy with the spring starter.

On my last flight I noticed raw fuel stains coming from a hole on the side of my cowl. This hole is adjacent to the carburetor throat. This was not noticed on my 1st flight but some adjustments have been made since then. When I looked through the front of the cowl I notice the carburetor is wet on the bottom plate. My question is, is this gas being spit out of the carburetor or an indication that something is loose and needs tightening?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: BT-50SA Carburetor Leak?

6,300 RPM on a Top Flite 20 x 10 Power Point propeller sounds about right. An APC 20 x 8 will turn almost 1,000 RPM more.

The fuel you're seeing is being 'spit' from the carburetor. Some is normal. Your high-speed needle may be a bit on the rich side, which also makes extra fuel get spit out.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the APC 20x8 give me more static thrust than the Top Flight 20x10? Would an APC 20x10 be even better. I'm also contenplating on ordering a Mejzlik 20x10???
Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We don't know about static thrust. You'd have to measure it. We do know that an APC prop of the same pitch and diameter will allow your engine to run at higher RPM than an Top Flite prop. The difference is due to blade thickness, airfoil shape, and blade profile.