Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giving up on Hitec - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giving up on Hitec - FYI

rfw1953,

I freaked out the first time my 6V pack did that too.

As far as the UCD, I eliminated the blind nuts in the tail, along with the solid stab cover (made one out of contest balsa), used a lithium battery, used all the stock hardware and wrapped the push rods in uni, took a dremel to it and only used CA glue.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 PM
deputydog

rfw;
I have witnessed the 6v bug also and like the others, it settles down after you come off the initial charge. The digitals(especially the 5925's!) whine pretty loud on 6v plus they are more critical of the control surface weight when centered. You get used to it.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DeputyD.

Thank you. I had felt that a personal attack had been made towards me, and responded in kind. My apology. I agree that after about 1985, H.S went to the crapper. It's too bad, they used to be a great shop. I didn't know that Paul Bender was no longer in the picture.

As for the manufacturer in question, I used their products happily for many, many years, and swore by them. I know that the majority of people are using the products without problems, and I sincerely hope that they remain problem free. But, I and many others, have experienced problems of late that has cost quite a bit of money. Both sides should be heard, so that decisions can be made with the information from both the good and the bad reports.

As for the 6 volt issue. "Jitters" have been a fairly common condition since the advent of 6 volt batteries and digitals. Things nearly always calm down to a normal state after the first few minutes of operation has removed the peak of a fresh charge. Usually by the time you range check, start and run up the engine, flight surface check, set the idle and taxi out, all is well again.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:50 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Samuel and Patrick, glad you guys cleared the air and did so like gentlemen. No harm done. I honestly like to hear the good and the bad. You get a good balanced report this way and in the end we all have to make our own decisions based on research, which includes reports from those using the products and personal experience. I know I have learned many lessons the hard way, and have the trophy pieces as reminders. Nothing worse than loosing an airplane because of a product failure, but it's going to happen. It can happen maybe once, but after two times I too think I would have to make a change. As you guys have said so well, nothing works 100%. Sometimes you just have to make a change for peace of mind and hope for the better.

Thanks kindly for the info on 6 v. packs from all. I think I have a better understanding of this issue now. Do appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:24 PM
deputydog

Silversurfer;
If I remember correctly, mid 90's the son took over and partnered up with a company in Mexico with the cheapo planes. He also pissed alot of other distributers off and as you have seen, quit carrying many name brand kits. But then again there are very few shops that cater to the more specialized things we want he in So Cal. I love to go to LA to Gyro and Pegasus every chance I get and also Wild Hare on line. Otherwise I get my stuff in the mail.
I've been running nothing but 6v on my planes for a few years now and all of my large birds have Duralites in them. The Duralites last all weekend and are well worth the investment!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Lee MRC

Just my opnion but, I have been in electronics begining in 1956 and can sware that solid state electronic compoenents are VERY reliable, they WILL FAIL, soner or later. Heat and shock are their enimies. I have utilized complex mechanical components long enough to ascertain that they also are very reliable also. The antiquated tube type equipment used to give one some advance notice by degraded performance but not so with solid state. This does not mean that I imply that we should return to "tube technology" but we must learn to work within the constraints of the components that we have available to us at resonable cost/weight/availability. One can only consider their own experience and proceed forward with that in mind. Murphy lives with all of us, even if he does not pay rent as he sure should BIG TIME!

It is a fact that 99.999999999999% of the time solid state will fail WAO or shorted. If one can design with that in mind it will behove them.

You spends your money and you takes your chances, but you can design to expect failures and still recover from the situtation. Sometimes.

Sorry about the spelling but I am from TEXAS.

fly the airplane first

73 Lee K5MRC