Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

eliminating the ground affect?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

eliminating the ground affect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Sabot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eliminating the ground affect?

I had this idea,
im learning to fly - i can fly a bit in the ground affect but its difficult, i only have a smallish space to learn in, when i fly up out of the ground affect its MUCH easyer but i often crash into objects in the room.

To the point: Ive seen these things on TV that they test virtical takeoff/landing planes with - its this thingy in the floor that has loads of flaps and the air goes underground and out somewhere so it doesnt bounce back up at the aircraft, So if i got something about 3 foot tall with load of holes in it like a washing basket and put a mesh or something over hole in the top then the air would just go out underneath and wouldnt have any ground affect and i could learn to hover over it.

would this work?
the problem i can see is that it wouldnt have much area so if the helicopter flew off i'd have a problem.

does it sound like a good idea??

Thanks,

any ideas?

[edit1: changed title]
Old 07-19-2004, 01:10 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: eliminating the ground affect?

if you found something 3 feet tall that wasnt very big you wouldnt have ground effect. Its a good idea for a multi million dollar aircraft but on these little birds I find its best to learn with the ground effect as it makes you a better pilot..if you can fly in ground effect you can fly in alot of conditions. I dont find GE to be a big problem I usually hover about a foot off the ground....getting there is just a few clicks away. Not to discurge you plans on the system as it would probley work but I would be persistant on learning aid free. ALL NATURAL! lol good luck with this and I hope you get flying like a pro in no time. ITS ALL ABOUT SETUP.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:46 AM
tweaksalot

Default RE: eliminating the ground affect?

ground effect. . . overated. . . i dont think i've ever had a problem with this ground effect stuff, it just sounds cool when its in the supposed ground effect