Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Warning: Hobbico CS-80 servo

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Warning: Hobbico CS-80 servo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warning: Hobbico CS-80 servo READ THIS RESPONSE

ORIGINAL: Volfy

ORIGINAL: Darrinc

What size Capacitors are you using?
I usually just use what I happen to find in the scrap bin in the lab. I think last time I did it, I used three 10V 6800uF electrolytics wired in parallel right into the the "Y" connector. These caps are comparatively lightweight compared to even a small a battery pack, which really acts a a big ol' capacitor anyway, so I just use as many of them I can physically cram into the space.

Car audio guys do this a lot. With some of them running more than 5,000watts of amplifiers in the trunk, even 0 gauge copper cable run directly to the 12V battery up front may not keep up with the huge peak current loads. So it is common practice to put in 1 or 2 Farads worth of stiffening capacitor right at the power distribution block.

Back to our world... Hobbico/Hitec specifically warns about relying on plugging into the receiver alone for power for this servo. While this may not be the cause of this particular crash, it is always a good idea to heed the manufacturer's warnings and instructions.

I'm a old car audio guy from back in the day. (when you where judged on sound quality) Hmm, funny that I never made the connection with my RC stuff. I know for a fact that it works in the stereo application so I'll get working on a setup for my planes.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Warning: Hobbico CS-80 servo

Darrin, I got involved in car audio back when IASCA just formed. That was back when there were still a few of us "tweakers" amonst the majority of "boomers". As a college student, I installed many a car stereo system, alarms and built countless sub boxes. These days, everybody just wants to "drag" SPL. Sad...
Old 07-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Warning: Hobbico CS-80 servo

Volfy,

Ah yes tweaking, I believe in one of my competion cars I had 12 hrs in just setting the phase of one set of tweeters. I did not have the the diagnostic equipment they have today and had to set everything by ear. I used to design and make killer sub boxes. The secret to their sound was that I couldn't cut anything square so they did not have any parallel walls. Funny how my inability became a advantage.

I talked to a engineer at work and he will let me use his design software to come up with some values. I'll start on that next week!