Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Who has trimmed a Dave Patrick 540T?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Who has trimmed a Dave Patrick 540T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Miloh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has trimmed a Dave Patrick 540T?

I've got my EDGE flying pretty good now as in: the motors is finally tuned in, Getting good fuel consumption, I can go to the field now without having to tear it apart once or twice over the course of the day to correct some unforeseen problem !QUOT!WHEW!QUOT! LOL,
Now that it is finally dependable and flying well I can try to trim it.
The book says it should have no thrust off the center line. no left, right, up or down. I have already put in maybe 2% of right thrust and it still pulls to the left like a MULE on the ground right up until it rotates. If I hold it down and let it roll out long after rotation I can let the rudder go neutral and it tracks pretty good through lift off. !QUOT!The tail wheel is Castro BTW!QUOT!
Once up it will fade maybe to the left first flight and need right trim and the next flight I will have to take it back the other way, but no matter what happens with the ailerons the rudder always ends up trimmed with a noticeable amount of left rudder. I always stay away from the rudder trim until I have to use it but it always needs some, If I center it after a flight I end up putting it back in on the next flight. Of course it's crabbing!! !QUOT!I knew that question was coming!QUOT! I look like a pro slipping it in but it's just bad out of trim.
All seems straight!
looking at the front, the wings and horz tail group are lined up.
The vertical stab and rudder are straight.
It will not track through a loop it just won't!!
I'm wondering about two areas and hoping to find experience here, The motor thrust and the loose tail group. by this I mean it's not static, it is removable. Is this where my trim problem is hiding and should I glue it all together?
This is a question for owners of this plane too, when I roll over for a knife edge it will not stay over. I must hold in right stick to keep it over on the knife. this causes a little up or down depending. So to hold a knife edge I'm full rudder, half throttle, a bit of right stick and a fight with up or down to keep it straight.
I guess I could just be a terrible pilot but I've been able to do these maneuvers with other planes.
I have tried the trim charts to but they all say to first trim for straight and level flight but I can't even achieve this, It's just a big yellow crab.

All speculations are welcome and anticipated:

Thanks, Miloh.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78760.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	157283  
Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 AM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Default RE: Who has trimmed a Dave Patrick 540T?

I think part of your problem is the right thrust you put in the engine. I have my Brison 2.4 mounted to the firewall with no additional right thrust. You will ALWAYS have to add right rudder on the ground until the plane picks up speed due to the assymetrical torque and P-factor. This is common on all aircraft, only more noticeable on the larger ones. The adjustable stabs work great to "zero out" your elevator trim but should not affect your rudder trim in any way. I've had mine for a few seasons now and have had no trouble at all once I had the CG adjusted properly. If you are tail heavy, you will not be able to trim the plane in any axis worth a darn. make sure your CG is correct, your engine is mounted square with the firewall, and you should be good to go. The plane will fly hands off and practically land itself once you have it dialed in. As for knife edge flight, I have added a knife edge mix to my radio to straighten things out a bit. The plane has some odd tendencies here and there, but its performance is hard to beat! I love mine and all I can say is keep at it until you get things right! It's worth it!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Miloh

rongreg13:
The reason for the right thrust was to correct the violent left hand drift on upline when I pull vertical. this it did help. but still, if I make a slow pass and hammer full throttle it will dart left almost like rudder has been applied. The left wing does not drop as if torque were trying to roll it.
I will remove the thrust and retry this next weekend.
Thanks, Miloh
Old 07-26-2004, 01:42 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a ZDZ 40 on mine - did have a 50 NG but moved it to another plane- and had to add another couple of degress of right with either engine. I also added a degree or two of up thrust and find the plane flys a lot more neutral and definetly hovers better. You may want to experiment with some different props, some will torque more in the up line than others. On the 40, the 3W 20-8 --- which i prefer for doing 3D stuff-- will pull to the left in the up line much more than either a APC-20 x 8W or a Mejzlik 20 x 10 that I also run on the plane.

zonk
Old 07-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Miloh

I'm going to change to a schmitar this weekend and see what happens.

Thnaks, Miloh.