Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Depressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Shadow-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depressed

I bought one of Tom's beautiful Giles ARF's and a used engine to put in it. Put it all together and took it to the field. The engine rattled and shook like an old Model T. I checked the crank and discovered it was bent. Soooo, I sent the engine off to be repaired. Just learned last night there are more issues with the engine than just the bent crank and it is probably not worth repairing.

Here I sit depressed with a beautiful airplane and no engine to motivate it. Sometimes the airplane gods are just not fair. Been looking at the ZDZ 80 and may order one of those. Probably no more used engines for me.

Randy
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Depressed

Sorry to hear about that...classic case of buyer beware though. one guy at our flying field wanted to try out one of the tower engines and bought one used from a guy on rcuniverse. it came in the mail and was frozen but he likes to tinker with things (and i do to if the price is right) and got it to run. even if he didn't he only spent $30. when i get my wildhare, i'm getting a brand new DA-50 so i have a warranty. i remember i almost bought a boat once that was owned by a nice guy and he said he had never had any problems with the engine. i passed it up and heard that the guy who did buy it had the engine blow on it's 3rd time out. i would've had a couple thousand dollar driveway ornament.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:13 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow-RCU
what engine was it?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Shadow-RCU

The engine was a MacMinirelli (SP?) 85cc twin. I know its not the best engine in the world, but I had one (I thought) that would get me started in a plane this size.

Randy
Old 07-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Bummer, man.[]
Old 07-29-2004, 08:30 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow-RCU
i had seen one converted over to C & H ing. and it ran very strong sorry for you running into that bent crank deal. have u talked with the guy you bought it from?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Shadow-RCU

Shadow-RCU
i had seen one converted over to C & H ing. and it ran very strong sorry for you running into that bent crank deal. have u talked with the guy you bought it from?

krayzc-RCU

No I haven't. I sent the Mac and another engine to RCIGN and he is finishing putting an ignition on the other engine before he sends them back. I will probably get with the person I bought the engine from when I get it back.

I purchase a lot of used R/C equipment from all over. I have several tables that permanently have my name on them at Perry, Georgia and have bought a lot of items at other swap meets. The only two items I have purchased that have not lived up to my expectations were from fellow club members. The person I bought this engine from is very trustworthy and reputable, so I am sure there is an explanation as to why the engine is damaged when I purchased it.

My main focus here is my frustration an not being able to fly the plane. I am not the fastest person in the world so when I finally did get all of the parts and pieces together and took the plane to the flying field I was just like a little kid in a candy store. If this engine doesn't work out I don't know if I can talk the boss (wife) into $600 or $700 for a replacement. I just hope I can get this engine to work without having to spend a lot of money.

Thanks for your help and condolences.

Randy